1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Now it wont start....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:21 AM
NEONRT98
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now it wont start....

So I finally got my radiator today, and put my car all back together.. everything is nice and tight and whatnot.. got in my car, went to turn it over... Click....click click... click click...

WITF!?!

I have been through the Haynes manual.. checked all electrical connections.. checked all relays.. checked all fuses... I am starting to think its the starter.. but it was fine before I started working on the car! Is it possible the starter seized up while it was sitting in the garage for the past 2 weeks..? Is there any way to maybe free it up? Maybe I can open up the back of the starter motor and spray PB blaster in it? Suggestions PLEASE! I really need my wheels back, I am missing them dearly!!

Old 07-14-2006, 04:11 AM
DNeon
Professional
Default RE: Now it wont start....

haha as soon as I saw the "Click....click click... click click... " I was gonna ask if you checked the starter. you could try hittin it with the end of a screw driver while sumone tries to start it.
maybe the connections on the battery ain on properly? happens sumtimes, clean up the posts an make sure the leads go all the way down.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:24 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

Yeah, but the odd thing is.. none of my lights dim... it just clicks.. and its not like its a one time thing, it clicks and clicks, but not in any kind of syncronization, you know what I mean? There is no pattern to it... Usually when my car shuts off, my stereo beeps three times.. well, sometimes when I am trying to start it, my radio will do that.. and also I noticed that if I turn my key, the Check Engine Light flashes twice while the key is in the start position

Old 07-14-2006, 09:08 AM
burpleneon
Professional

try beating on it

Old 07-14-2006, 11:54 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be your battery is dead? One time I pulled my battery out to do some maintenance and when I put it back in.....NOTHING! Battery went dead on me just sitting there.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:08 PM
DemEyz

Do you have AT or MT? If AT, try going from park to 1and slowly go back up until it automaticaly stops in Nuetral, then try and start it. I had this problem with mines and i thought it was the battery so i bought a new one and it still did it. I banged and banged on my starter and still nothing. Turns out that the starter wasn't getting enough juice to start the car due to bad connectors and the fact that sometimes my car will not be in park even when it is. Forgot the name of this thing........

Old 07-14-2006, 09:15 PM
DNeon
Professional

the p r n d l switch? my 89 mazda did that...but it just wouldnt start. wouldnt even click.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:26 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I got fed up this afternoon and decided to take it out and look at it, boy was THAT a chore!!! I got it out, opened it up and examined all the components, everything looked as if it were OK. I went to Advanced Auto and got an electrical parts cleaner for 5 bucks. Went back home, sprayed everything down, cleaned it all up. I threw it back together and put it back on the car... well.. it worked, thats all I gotta say! I am thinking something was prolly bound up in there, but whatever it was, I woudl much rather buy a 5 dollar can of cleaner than a 100 dollar starter!!! THanks guys!

Old 07-15-2006, 03:46 PM
DemEyz

Hey, glad too see that you found the problem and fixed it. I bet the car sounds nice with that SRT in it.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:24 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Dude.. I dont have an SRT in it.. :-P And I think I only bought myself some time with the starter, as I went to work today and went to come home and it wouldnt start, same problem again, ended up push starting.. whoopdie.. guess I better start saving

Quick Reply: Now it wont start....