1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

timing belt cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006 | 03:53 PM
dogdaysunrise
|
Veteran
Default timing belt cover

Well I have had enough with breaking gear pullers. I was thinking the other night and had an epiphany. What if I just cut the timing belt cover off around the crank.

The only harmful thing I can see from this is the possibility of crap getting on the belt or cutting it. From what I see it, it will make it a hell of a lot easier to change any future parts also, no need to disassemble the passenger side to get at stuff, and when I add an adjustable cam gear it will make that easier as well.

What do you guys think?

Mike

Old 07-17-2006 | 08:08 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Default RE: timing belt cover

if i remeber correctly, one of the bolts that hold the timing belt tensioner on is behind the crank pulley....plus in order to change the cam gear when you get one, you have to remove the timing belt, which can be done fine, but to reinstall it you need to have off the crank pulley..........you will get alot of shavings around the belt when you do the cutting of the cover, plus you will have alot of dirt and other junk getting in there when you drive the car.....make sure not to drive it in the rain if you do decide to cut off the cover....

i would say to find a mechanics shop near you, have them take off the pulley, then drive the car home and do the rest of the work yourself......but dont be too far from home since the car would be running off the battery only

just my 2 cents

Old 07-17-2006 | 09:33 PM
dogdaysunrise
|
Veteran

im thinking im just gonna cut it and then jb-weld the cut plastic so I can put it back on

Old 07-17-2006 | 11:57 PM
spudsterier
Legend

what about the tensioner pin bolts????

Old 07-18-2006 | 11:29 PM
dogdaysunrise
|
Veteran

How long are they? If they arent too long I can just take them out with a wrench. If they are too long but have a lot of thread I can always cut them and then by shorter bolts.

Old 07-19-2006 | 01:55 AM
spudsterier
Legend

one of the bolts is kinda long...maybe 2 inches or so.....but with the ray that the tensioner pin sits in there along with the belt anf pulleys....you will never be able to get to them and cut them....plus the one is long for a reason.....and cant be any shorter.....

like i said you need to take it to a mechanic and just have him remove it....it will be alot easier in the long run....

i guess from what i was told it is hard to remove the pulley especially if it was never removed before....since the pulley and crank are 2 different kinds of metal they kinda weld themselves together over time.....
if you do get it off, remember to put anti sieze on the end of the crank and it will never give you anymore problems

just do it the easier way before sumthing bad happens to the car that will cause you more of a headache and money then is needed

Quick Reply: timing belt cover