1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Gryphin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

Ok well I was replacing my Illm lights in my dash the other day because they went out. Well after I looked at what kind I need (pc194) I go to start my car, but get nothing. It turns over and sounds fine just will not fire. Tryed jumping and nothing. Checked battery voltage and that is fine. So I go to get it towed a day later, try to start it for one last time, nothing try again, starts right up and every time after that. The first time it started it seemed like it was going to cut off till i gave it some gas. Now that it runs, the check engine light is on. Any help or suggestion on the problem would be good?

Old 07-22-2006, 02:03 PM
NEONRT98
All Star
Default RE: Starting problems

Pull the codes for us and post them. You can do it yourself, there is an article on the forum about it, just search for it. You can also take the car to Advanced Auto or Autozone and they can pull the OBD and OBDII codes for you..

Old 07-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Gryphin

I will do that when I get home from work, I took it to the shop but they havent even looked at it for 2 days. So I am just going to bring it home now that I found out how to check the codes myself. Is there any reason with out the codes you can think of that it might do this? One thing is, we looked at the fuel pump fuse pulled it out and nothing happened but the next morning it started. Could it have been a lose connection from the fuse to the box?

Old 07-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Gryphin

Well i got a answer, the mechanic said that he is getting a code about the fuel relay. He said it comes and goes its either a short or a problem with the relay. Any suggestions?

Old 07-22-2006, 05:37 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

I beleive the Fuel pump fuse controls the PCM also, thats one way to reset the PCM.. Check your relays under the hood, also!

Old 07-22-2006, 06:15 PM
tomthedog
Captain

get a bud and check with a multi-meter/test light. one of you check the reading/light while the other shakes the wires ALL along the path of power, from the batt to the pump/fuel injectors. sounds crazy but most of the time i find this prob with choppers (the kind that fly). hope this helps, good luck.

Quick Reply: Starting problems