97 neon auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:01 PM
noen_newbe
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 neon auto

sup
i have a 97 neon has almost 200k miles on it and i have to put a qt of oil every 3 days or such but it doesnt leak oil or anything i keep getting the check engine light and when i hook up the comp it says undocumented code and when i am driving the key left in ignition sound bleeps and then i turn on the a.c or hit the break it stops it wastes a lot of gasoline when the ac is on i dont know why there is a sqeeling noise that comes from the engine bay it a belt in front part the car on the passenger side i dont know what it is though i would like to know what going on wit my baby i like this car alot but i dont wanna get stuck on day you know what could be the problems ?

Old 08-03-2006, 03:58 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 97 neon auto

You're probably getting blow-by on your pistons rings and/or some seals. Have you tried the key dance to try and pull codes?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:12 PM
noen_newbe
Veteran

no i havent recently last time i did it didnt do anything. i dont know i have a base model i dont know if that matters. what
is blow by what that is that when the oil leaks and burns wit the fuel?
anther thing ive noticed to is that when i drive slowly the muffler rattles and sound like it dragging but its not and i just dont understand it it a quick car and all much faster then my manual 89 accord but it just has so many probs i need to buy a comp that pulls codes so i dont have to borrow my friends any ideas and when i do this ill tell you exacly what code i get mybe one of u smart guys can help anyway umm yea
as always thanks for the advice and replies

Old 08-03-2006, 05:21 PM
ScrapYurImport
Veteran

Blowby is when your piston rings are bad they will alow air to pass through
the center ring. If your rings are bad thats where your oil is going. Rings will get worn out when you have 200k
ecspecially if you beat your car. Your muffler problem could be just a loose clamp or check to see if the brace came off.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:52 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: noen_newbe
i need to buy a comp that pulls codes so i dont have to borrow my friends any ideas and when i do this ill tell you exacly what code i get mybe one of u smart guys can help
You don't necessarily need a computer to pull your codes. Try this...
http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

Old 08-03-2006, 07:13 PM
TriumphGT6

If you want to pull codes, they will rent you the code reader from some Autozones. Call and see if they'll let you. The way rentals work there is, you pay for the item in full, and upon return you get a full refund. It essentially costs you nothing.

Go rent a compression tester from Autozone or PepBoys. Have your friend show you how to do a compression test. If you have ring issues, it will show up as low compression in one or more of the cylinders.

If you have low compression, the fix is to pull the engine and rebuild it. Meaning, bore job, new pistons and rings, and while you're there, replace gaskets. The bore job should cost between $50 and $100 if you bring the block to the shop. The new pistons and rings should run $200 or less for the set. Depending on how many gaskets you replace, determines the price for that.

Only rebuild the engine if you plan on running this car for a real long time and have someone who can help you(if you can't do this by yourself.).

GT6

Quick Reply: 97 neon auto