1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

the unthinkable happend

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:49 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unthinkable happend

holy crap looking at my list and Das' list, parts are way cheaper in the states... Stupid Canadian prices.......

Old 08-29-2006, 01:51 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

140-180 for a whater pump???? damn...i would hate to get one where you do[]
go onto autozone.com and look for all the parts listed....that will give you an exact parts price range

you could just get a new motor...that way you dont have to take it all apart....it would probally even be cheaper then getting all the work done

Old 08-29-2006, 01:52 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran

Thats what I did

you could just get a new motor...that way you dont have to take it all apart....it would probally even be cheaper then getting all the work done

Old 08-29-2006, 01:54 AM
spudsterier
Legend

so did i...only cost 400 for the motor and install....but that was before i knew how

Old 08-29-2006, 02:09 AM
noen_newbe
Veteran

ummm wow i guess i am going to have to resort to the bus stop then that is alot and the motor should i just do a dohc swapp are those better ? i dont know what to do grrr where can i get an engine should i do dohc or sohc or what im starting to hope that this is a big prob cause i can just get a new engine
mybe less miles yess!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 02:11 AM
spudsterier
Legend

when a timing belt goes it is a big problem on these cars.....i would get a dohc

Old 08-29-2006, 02:22 AM
noen_newbe
Veteran

oh ok umm i am going to search google but if you know where i can get a cheap dohc? what is a good price for them i am thinking of gettin a 1999 engine is that good or bad i kinda what the r/t motor anythought
? and btw thanks guys for the help

Old 08-29-2006, 02:26 AM
daveyg
Amateur

where to get one, you would be best to shop around your local wrecking yards. Then, look for one with similar compression on all 4 cylinders, if the wrecking yard wants to make any money, they should compression test it for you, should be able to find a good running engine, with good compression in the $400-$500 range, I am in the process of replacing the engine in my Ford Ranger (I know, they're the enemy...) with one from a similar year mustang (4 cyl) it was $400, (bonus is, it's a higher compression one :-) but the key is shopping around. Start with your local yellow pages under "Auto Parts-Used/Remanufactured", there should be several wrecking yards/junkyards listed. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2006, 04:51 AM
noen_newbe
Veteran

yea the junk yard around here they are all crooks but i dont know what engine to get i want a neon engine are they all the same or what ? should i try to get a r/t engine?

Old 08-29-2006, 09:46 AM
spudsterier
Legend

the r/t engine is just the same as any dohc neon.....
when i replaced the motor in my last r/t it originally came from a 97 sport auto....same motor though.....the average price on big repairs from my junkman was 400 for the motor and i paid 400 for the previous 3 transmissions for the car that i got from him....until i found the burnt r/t in a backwoods junkyard in wisconsin and got the trans outta it.....

i would sell you a dohc because i have 2 sitting in my garage....but one is in pieces waiting to go to the machine shop to get bored over and the other is gonna be used asa back up....with the miles me and the wife put on our cars, you need to have a backup....thats why i also have 1 auto and 1 manual tranny sitting in the garage.....unless i get rid of the manual one

check on ebay for the motor too...i find them on there alot

Quick Reply: the unthinkable happend