1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

AIT sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:24 AM
daveyg
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIT sensor

I'm sure this is a repost, but I need professional help. I'm trying to find my AIT sensor, because Check Eng Light says it's not reading anything, not real familiar with Neons, but my car has the Idle Air Temp sensor located on the throttle body, but on my GF's car (97 Neon DOHC) I can't seem to find anything that looks similar to a IAT, I'm also wondering if it attaches to the intake pipe somehow, we bought this car, with a K&N CAI already installed, and I took it off to clean it, and found a 1/2" hole in the intake pipe, that was just open and sucking air, after the filter, as well as the hose barb that connects to the valve cover breather hose. I'm just wondering how I would find the AIT sensor on a car at the junkyard, would it be on the TB, or in the intake pipe/filter box?

Old 08-29-2006, 12:44 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: AIT sensor

Its the IAT sensor and for the DOHC is located on the intake manifold, it was combined with the MAP sensor, its a black square like object directly in the middle of the intake mani, you can't miss it, that hole was probably some type of modification the previous owner was trying to do, not really sure but could be, you can find the sensor at the yard not sure how much because yards vary but cheaper then the auto part store

Old 08-29-2006, 12:44 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its on the upper side of the manifold between the #2 and #3 intake tubes.....intake/filter box doesnt contain any sensors...the hole in the intake tube is supposed to have a hose connected to it that goes to the top of the valve cover on the drivers side....i just plugged the hole on mine and put a small air breather on the valve cover pipe....here is a pic..you should be able to see it

[IMG]local://upfiles/29901/F4E5A8B5225048798DFFCF33103002A5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-29-2006, 12:59 AM
daveyg
Amateur

Thanks guys, but just FYI, there were 2 holes, one had a barb, and that VC breather hose attached to it, but the other was just hangin out, and it looked like the plastic was cast that way, had no burrs or drill marks, or knife marks, or anything after I cleaned it... fixed it by cutting off about 4" of the pipe and re inserted the VC breather barb, to get the filter in a less mud prone area, even with a small loss of power, still much colder and higher flow than the stock intake must be... WOW, there's lots of blue spray paint and yellow wire loom in that pic... looks like my Geo Storm, except mines all satin blue themed, no 2-tone for me.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:06 AM
spudsterier
Legend

i think i used like 4-5 big bags of wire loom on it....every wire under the hood was covered with it......and it did take alot of spray paint...

just a question.....what do you mean barb???

Old 08-29-2006, 01:17 AM
daveyg
Amateur

barb: redneck/white trash word used in place of hose fitting, has threading on one end, nipple on the other, separated by hex shaped attachment for turning with wrench, used in conjunction with rubber hose and metal hose clamp ring.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:23 AM
spudsterier
Legend

oh

Old 08-29-2006, 02:30 AM
daveyg
Amateur

Ok, so I found and pulled the IAT sensor, it's got oil on it... (blow by, I'm thinking, sadness) I was just wondering, since I'm on a very tight time frame, would it work to clean it, and put it back on?

Old 08-29-2006, 09:35 AM
spudsterier
Legend

wouldnt hurt to try...but it would benefit you more just to get a new one

Old 08-29-2006, 11:41 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: daveyg
I was just wondering, since I'm on a very tight time frame, would it work to clean it, and put it back on?
Use a sensor safe cleaner and you should be OK.

Quick Reply: AIT sensor