1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Broken Crank Bolt...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:40 AM
DNeon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Crank Bolt...

ok....so I was tightenin my pulley onto the crank, til the bolt snapped inside the crank, the pulley wasnt even all the way on =(
its...I'd say 5 mm away. So I no it wasnt cause I forced it too much, I mean if the pulley was all the way in an I kept tryna tighten it an it snapped then I no it'd been my fault. anyway any suggestions on how to get it out?
I was thinkin drillin into the broken bit inside an gettin a smaller bolt inside it an unscrew it out. is there any other way of gettin it out? does it make things easier if I take off the pulley? lol spent a good half an hour tryna get that far......I dun really wanna take it off =(
<=D

Old 09-12-2006, 01:42 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Broken Crank Bolt...

your gonna have a hell of a time getting the bolt out....it would be maybe a little easier with the pulley off....and you gonna have a hell of a time drilling that bolt because its hardened steel.....you are gonna need a real good bit

Old 09-12-2006, 02:10 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

And I dont think those "easy outs" are going to help you out here haha... man that sucks..
Did you say just the head broke off? can you grab the end with like vice grips?

Old 09-12-2006, 02:10 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran

i would take the pulley back off, then get something sharp that you can hammer into the back of the broken bolt and see if you can back it out enough to get a set of vice grips on it.

no lie, that is gonna be a bitch to get out.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:35 AM
DNeon
Professional

ORIGINAL: NEONRT98

And I dont think those "easy outs" are going to help you out here haha... man that sucks..
Did you say just the head broke off? can you grab the end with like vice grips?
naw. it actually broke at about where the thread in the crank starts, I'd say theres a inch to half inch peice of bolt in there.

ORIGINAL: dogdaysunrise

i would take the pulley back off, then get something sharp that you can hammer into the back of the broken bolt and see if you can back it out enough to get a set of vice grips on it.
I was actually thinkin of sumn among those lines. the thing is.....its so far in there that I would need this sharp peiece of sumthin to b really deep in the bolt, an I dun wanna hammer the broken bolt too much =(...I guess I'm stuck wit tryna drill into the bolt lol, ah well life goes on...

Old 09-12-2006, 02:02 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can either replace the crank or remove it and take it to a machine shop to have the bolt removed. It doens't seem that it will be easy to drill out. If you have a UDP, just heat it up and slap it on.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:23 PM
xdeathwishx
Professional

that sucks dude. im speachless. a moment of silence is due.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:09 PM
DNeon
Professional

HAHA fereal...
at first I thought it was my 1/2" extension that broke, cause it slipped all of a sudden an my ext. came off my johnson bar. I was like THANK YOU LORD at least it wasnt my bolt...so I pick up my extension hopin prayin that it was...closer inspection notn was wrong wit it =(
Grabbed my bolt in fear an pulled it out

Quick Reply: Broken Crank Bolt...