Misc connectors(optional)
Wire Cutters/Strippers
Wire Splicers (optional)
Philips #2 Screwdriver
Enough 12-14 Gauge Wire to Run your Switch where you want it
Dremmel or something to fabricate where you wish to mount your switch
and last but definately not least as with all DIY jobs...Patience

Steps:

First things First DISCONNECT your battery as you should do always before playing with any wiring

Mounting Your Switch
1. Find mounting spot for your new push button starter (i did this step last so its not in the spot i want it lol)
2. Pull enough wire for step 1
3. The push button switch you purchased should have 2 connections on the back, it doesn't matter which is which there is no ground and its push button so its no matter which wire is hot. and theres no ground because almost all if not all of the push button switchs ground to themselves
4. Now mount your switch in its desired location after your needed fabrication and run the 2 new wires towards the lower part of your dash

congratulations your halfway there

Wiring into your Ignition:

1. Pull the bottom of the dash off by unscrewing the 4 screws (3 along bottom 1 on side by fuse panel) then the 2 for the code reader
2. Take metal plate that was underneath the piece you just took off, off. by unscrewing 3 screws along the top of it
3. Take out the 3 screws from the bottom of your steering column off
4. Take apart your steering column bottom comes off the bottom top comes off the top
5. Find a wiring harness on the left hand side of your steering column has a few 14-16 gauge wires running to it (tricky. it has a red clip you need to take off of the actual clip
before taking the harness off)
6. Find a yellow wire (ignition wire) and cut it about 1-2" from the back of the harness. (2" of slack incase u decide to return your car to factory specs) after cutting it strip the end of the wire thats not attached to the wiring harness any more and attach one of your freshly ran wires from your switch to the yellow ignition wire with a connector and electrical tape or just tape your call
7. Tape off the yellow wire slack you left so it doesn't touch any metal later on in life
8. Find the blue wire (Acc i think. its basically the wire that tells your starter button the car is in run) in the harness, splice it so you can run a wire into it and tape it off
9. I find this step vital to all DIY jobs, before reassembling any thing connect your battery and test it to make sure it works , now to start your car the way i had you run the wires you must put the key in the on position, notice if you try to start it with the key you get no response...don't be alarmed thats because you just cut your ignition wire so after the key is in the on position push your new Push Button Starter and voila feel the rumble at your finger tips yay pat yourself on the back...
10. Secure any loose wiring left over, plug the harness back in follow the steps back to reassemble your dash clean up after yourself and Enjoy your new old school style Starting system

hope this helps anyone attempting this
any questions hollar at me
good luck and be safe

Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Push Button Starter Installation

[sm=bling.gif]

Old 10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran

yeah its pretty sweet i mounted mine by my right foot in the middle console so i put the key in an just kick my foot to the side and im ready to go lol

Edit : its just something to add a uniqueness to your car for 6 dollars

Old 10-04-2006, 01:36 AM
xdeathwishx
Professional

i want to install something in my car that senses when i sit down in my car, and furthermore can distinguish between the shape of my *** and someone elses ***. then whenever i sit down in the drivers seat it will start. wouldnt that be efficient? until they come out with something like this, ill stick to my keys.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:46 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's in the how-to section now. CLICK ME to see it.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 AM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran

nice if i'd of known it could of gone in there i would of had the wife out there takin pics

Old 10-04-2006, 02:05 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: ZiggyNeon

nice if i'd of known it could of gone in there i would of had the wife out there takin pics
Any how-to's someone writes, I am trying to get them over there. I will post a sticky up top and have links to all the 1st gen how-to's.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:30 AM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran

you should check that link i posted for autozone repair guides and put that up top. they have wiring diagrams and you know alot of people ask for those

Old 10-05-2006, 09:02 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

yea i have push button too

[IMG]local://upfiles/37714/7F887B512F4347758BCCC678C64BB91D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-05-2006, 12:02 PM
das2123
Legend