1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

ARGH! Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:56 PM
NEONRT98
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARGH! Alternator

So I had to open by big mouth.. in Mansfield - Fuzz and Hab can account for this - I said "I haven't had anything major go wrong with my car - yet" Well.. Driving down the road the other day.. Battery light came on.. Though OK so I busted another belt, no big deal.. but no.. I look.. belt still there BAH! So I go to get a new alternator and they want 187 bucks for one! I dont think so.. So I need to know what year neons are compatible with the 1998 Neon R/T... I think I may get my UDP while I am at it too haha.. Thanks guys!

Old 10-15-2006, 09:25 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: ARGH! Alternator

it was destiny RT lol, hold of on the alt though I had a problem with my battery light coming on but the belt was still there, I said this once before somewhere on a previous post but, besides the fuse box is that metalic looking box with copper wire attatched to the side of the fuse box, apparently mine was in bad shape causing my bat light to come on, my car would even shut down every once in a while, at a stop light, in mid turns it sucked. but if it is the alt for sure and your not worried if it's new or not then try car-parts.com I got mine from a spot here in ohio the next day, only cost me $14.95 and since it had to be shipped there was no core charge. and now would be a great time to slap on a nice UDP. I still gotta get a diff belt so I can bypass the a/c

Old 10-15-2006, 09:31 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

I already bypassed my AC.. and removed the whole system.. I replaced that wire when I got the Neon.. before I brought it home from Dayton.. I guess I could check it though just to be sure.. Even though I will prolly need a new alt. because I busted the bolt that goes to the battery in the alternator >.< Ouch... But yeah, I am gonna prolly go shoppin around some junk yards tomarrow for one... I dont know if I can get the UDP right now or not.. Kinda tight on money.. if I get it off Ebay, it will be a different story though!

Old 10-15-2006, 10:05 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

Im gona leave mine in, Yeah i know it helps with weight reduction but odds are when the time came to put it back in that I wouldnt feel like crawling back under there and doing it. you can get a nice UDP from ebay for a decent price I know the megan racing ones go for around 50 with whatever shipping is taxed on some times cheaper at 45, and there are some OBX's on there to for about the same price CLICK ME

*mod edited to shorten the link. use the Link button please

Old 10-16-2006, 01:38 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

i hate when the stud breaks, i did the same thing

[IMG]local://upfiles/37714/2773BF0E1C45403FA2052A60882C1500.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-16-2006, 01:45 AM
rrwertz
Professional

98 and 99, not sure about 97.
see if you have an voltage to the alt. with the car running.
if you can find another year cheap, just splice in the plug.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:48 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

BTW that alt is from a 96, so look at the plug and see if its the same as yours, i know it fits 95-97 i would think they would be the same up to 99 at least

Old 10-16-2006, 02:08 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain

opps, my bad on the link length I forgot to name the url, I dont ever use that because the links Ive used weren't long, Ill just start using it period. yeah it will fit, I checked my spare alt which is from a 98 and its the same pictured by racerx55

Quick Reply: ARGH! Alternator