1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Help, my 4x100 honda wheels are on, but now it knocks when I brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:00 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, my 4x100 honda wheels are on, but now it knocks when I brake

Only from the front. Reason I put my Honda wheels on there is because I still had them from my last car, and they have blizzaks matched on them. Only put them on the front, stockers on back.

Doesn't knock during turns, hard turns, engine braking or AT ALL in reverse. But it does it when I brake while moving forward.

One thing I did notice though, is that the center "ring" seems a touch smaller than that of the stock dodge wheels, but they all lined up without a problem, its just that when it came to totally securing the wheels, that middle ring got caught a little or something, because the torque needed to tighten the lugs was the same but it wasn't going any further.

I noticed a touch of a space difference between the rotor and the wheel at first (my putting my finger on the "gap" and hitting the wheel) but once I tightened lugs to spec it no longer did this. The sound is more prominent on the driver side, but I'm still sure both sides are making the noise.

I noticed the lug stand offs are a little different between these wheels, meaning the dodge wheels stick out a little where the wheels meets the rotor, and Honda's are all flush, but didn't have any effect on the mounting of the wheels

What do I do? It doesn't make sense that its knocking ONLY in forward and ONLY with the brakes applied. Noise grows with more pedal.

As far as I knew as long as it was some amount of lugs x bolt spacing and nothing got in the way (offset) that a wheel is a wheel.

Whats the deal with this?

Old 10-16-2006, 11:16 PM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran
Default RE: Help, my 4x100 honda wheels are on, but now it knocks when I brake

what kind of knocking? and where does it sound like it came from? and some times different rims centers need to be bored out a little when they need to so you may need to bore them. and did u look at the rotors and what not after putting the rim on see if your calipers or ne thing is touching something its not supposed to

Old 10-16-2006, 11:21 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the caliper hitting the rim.....unless the hole in the rim for the hub bolt isnt the right size and the rim isnt seated on the rim good enough so it moves when you brake

Old 10-16-2006, 11:29 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran

The knocking is definately coming from the wheels, I left the shop already so I cant do anything until at least tomorrow. THe torque is good (above spec actually) but it sounds like the center of the wheel will need to be bored out more to make it work. Though im thinking that may be a problem if they got a little wedged in there, its gonna be hard to take the wheels off of it.

its more of a knock....knock....knock sound, faster with high speed obviously, but it only seems to do it at a certain point in the wheel rotation, and like I said, more on the driver side

Old 10-16-2006, 11:30 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran

also, the wheels are from 1986-1989 honda accord, just fyi

Old 10-16-2006, 11:52 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the car shake at all when its knocking????
it wont be hard to take them off the car if they are wedged on there.....just give them a good kick

Old 10-16-2006, 11:59 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran

No doesnt shake or anything noticable except the knocking sound

Old 10-17-2006, 01:14 AM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran

After you bore it out and what not or get it to fit right if its still makin that knock sound it could be many things my driver front knocks but only when it does certain things and i know its not the rim

Old 10-17-2006, 06:35 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

if you have rotors from autozone, the cheap ones, look for a crack, mine started making a thumping/knocking sound when i applied the brakes, louder the harder you push right after i put the wheels back on after rotating them, ive seen a few 4 lug neons crack the rotors, give that a look & see if that might be your noise
on my car the crack was so small on the 2nd pair of rotors(cheap *** autozone junk) i never seen it, but i knew it was there from hearing it before

[IMG]local://upfiles/37714/36D12BA3A9C4494BAA7D05A0380AE74D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-17-2006, 06:10 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran

Well I tried again for like 30 minutes today, I took the nuts off and couldnt take the wheel off, I didnt have a sledge, just a little 2.5lb hammer . So I tried putting a piece of wood on the center of the wheel and hit it with a hammer to see if it would move at all, but it didnt. I torqued the wheels back on to like 150ftlb and it was still makin noise, so I just took it A1 Tire in town and they charged me 33.90 for 2 changeovers+balance. Not too bad, and actually. hahaha the guy had a hard time gettin the wheels off, he was using a 15lb sledge. I told him I didnt care about the honda wheels (they WERE steelies) and he busted em up pretty good taken em off. I tipped him 5 bucks too. No more noise and the tires are on good . Hah and im a mechanic >_<

Brakes were good, actually do look brand new (they were squeeling real bad before, thought they were toast) so I jsut cleaned em up and the noise went away. Also manually adjusted the rear brakes 2 clicks, I guess I dont reverse enough

Quick Reply: Help, my 4x100 honda wheels are on, but now it knocks when I brake