1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

port match plastic manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006 | 06:02 AM
95neonriceeater
|
Record Breaker
Default port match plastic manifold

has anyone port matched their plastic manifold?

how did you go about doing this?

Old 11-01-2006 | 10:16 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Default RE: port match plastic manifold

dremel

Old 11-01-2006 | 04:01 PM
95neonriceeater
|
Record Breaker

yea but the plastic manifold is one piece and you can't go that far into it

maybe like 3 inches

Old 11-01-2006 | 05:08 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: 95neonriceeater

yea but the plastic manifold is one piece and you can't go that far into it

maybe like 3 inches
Lay the gasket on the manifold, make your markings and dremel away!

Old 11-01-2006 | 05:10 PM
95neonriceeater
|
Record Breaker

but are just a few inches enough to feel any performance?

Old 11-01-2006 | 05:37 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: 95neonriceeater

but are just a few inches enough to feel any performance?
It will let your engine breathe better without restriction. You may "feel" the difference, but your engine will thank you!

Old 11-01-2006 | 06:49 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran

The part that helps the most is matching the size of the gasket to the head and the manifold, so it doesnt just flow, then come to a small restriction (like the manifold opening where the gasket goes, theres a little bit of a space difference, that can cause some turbulence) and into the head. I wouldnt bother going the few inches up, just port match. If your not gonna do it all dont bother at all, your just messing with intake velocity (bigger diameter = slower moving air) and when its coming in fast (beginning of the runners) and slows down a little (barely noticable) it wont be a constant velocity. You may get a SLIGHT power increase at higher rpms if you do a little bit of the manifold, but with the slower velocity you may lose some <2000rpm torque. And we all know these motors need that

Old 11-01-2006 | 07:18 PM
das2123
Legend

Here is some info from someone who has done it...

windsor 351
Hey whats up! I ported the plastic intake on my 98 Plymouth Neon 4 Door SOHC ATX. All that I did was took a cone shaped double cut carbide burr bit and a battery powered drill and ported out to the O-Rings (leave a little wall to hold the O-Rings in place though maybe about a 1/16th inch wall all the way around) now on the injector ports you just want to kind of contour them don't go real crazy. Shave down the ridges in each intake port right under neath of injector ports. Don't completely remove them they help with your low end torque just round them a little, enough to take the sharp point off of them. blend in your port job about an inch down the intake port on the manifold that should be enough. Once all this fun work is done go ahead and open the throttle body inlet hole on the manifold keep it a circle and leave the little opening for the IAC side alone. I accidentally did this and ended up with an annoying whistle noise, I had to find another intake and redo all my work. Be Sure to port match the intake side of the cylinder head when you do this, Makes for great off idle torque and good pulling power all the way to the rev limiter. Good luck

Old 11-01-2006 | 11:56 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran

ok well that kinda verified what I said. And port matching the head aswell is key. Otherwise dont expect any real gains just port matching, though intake turbulence is bound to be reduced its gotta help something somewhere. If I keep this motor I may just aswell do that, less turbulence should add a smidgen of a mpg on it, hopefully. I get 26mpg, mostly city >_<

Quick Reply: port match plastic manifold