1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

re: carpute spex thread closed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 05:10 AM
Youngstown97Sohc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: carpute spex thread closed?

just when i find it , its closed for reply... wtf...

to the ***** who kept getting flames for putting all kind of crap in his neon....

where did you get that keybd...
how are you mounting your box? im worried my 300g sata hd will have serious vibration problems... im working on modifying a bungi-cord setup that would suspend the whole deal a couple inches from anything in the trunk.
what kind of monitor are you using? im looking for a touch screen right now that will fit in the radio spot without too much cutting.. i almost settled on a hacked up psOne screen , but theres a lot to screw with to get it to work , and im running linux....

edit :: btw : can a mod delete the other one ... my pc posted two of the same msg...

hova

Old 11-08-2006, 05:32 AM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: re: carpute spex thread closed?

yeah he got flammed good, somewhere he lost the tao or never had it lol, he kinda put beefing up the neon down, hasn't posted in a couple of days, he might have left, your best option for info from him is to see if he has an email or something. that's if you get no love from anyone on here, seems like a computer in the car is a touchy subject lol

Old 11-09-2006, 01:51 AM
Youngstown97Sohc
Professional

i guess so... its kinda amusing to me that people will spend thousands on engine work , and cheap out when it comes to sound...

im not talking about some crazy media-center neon... i just want a touchscreen , and 300g of music on the go...

then again , i do love the sweet song of a finely tuned engine/exhaust combo.... i think my fave so far is the new wrx .... low and throaty , yet ricey enough... kinda like rally puegot... i love a sub-compact car that sounds like its got a 451 windsor in it... til it starts moving , then it sounds like a hyabusa or ducati...

mmmmmm....
hova

Old 11-09-2006, 01:59 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i almost bought a ducati a year or so ago

ive been trying to talk my mom into putting an exhaust on her WRX.....but she still thinks that she is gonna smoke me even when i get the turbo on my car.....when we went to pick up the blue r/t we drove the subie there on the interstate, i was messing with sum kids in a integra...but they couldnt keep up

Old 11-09-2006, 03:48 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM the buy if you want info from him.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:10 AM
95neonriceeater
Record Breaker

my buddy has a 2006 wrx
he put an exhaust and bov
it sounds soooo nice
and is soooo fast

hahahahah

Old 11-09-2006, 04:49 AM
FyreDaug
Veteran

nah im still here, I just frequent the org more often. Its all in there, screen isnt mounted yet. I just built a hardwood "case" for the system, its held between rails that support the false floor the sub sits on, its nothing special because you dont see it, its just held together on the wood.

As far as hard drives you will not have to worry about it. Seagate is the best choice as they have the highest G protection, but I run 2x200gb western digitals, because they were 50bucks each. But the only damping protection they have is some dynamat. Dynamat between hdd1 and wood board, and dynamat between the 2 harddrives (stacked) and a little on the sides aswell. Reduces rotational vibration a bit I think.

We just had a nasty snowfall and we are colder than -10C here but she fires up in the morning no problems. I take the screen in with me though, and that dash piece will be like a face plate. The screen will be detachable in that sense. Its just 2 wires to plug in, then push the dash piece in (4 clips). Still fiberglassing though.

And damn does this neon sound tight for bass. I had a hatchback accord before and it sounded louder in there, but its so tight in this car I like it. My line driver hasnt arrived yet though (friday, maybe monday) but right now the amps seem happy with 2.8v and ~30% gain. Bass sounds louder than my buddies 2x15" but I know its not, its just tighter/crisper. It doesnt drown anything out either. With the tweets mounted on the windshield you get a good sound that you dont have to drive really loud to get the sound from, which means less distortion.

Im happy so far, even though the screen is currently sitting between the 2 seats until the dash piece is done. But it plays music and it does it very well, which is all I asked for to begin with.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:53 AM
FyreDaug
Veteran

ORIGINAL: FuzzRacer

yeah he got flammed good, somewhere he lost the tao or never had it lol, he kinda put beefing up the neon down, hasn't posted in a couple of days, he might have left, your best option for info from him is to see if he has an email or something. that's if you get no love from anyone on here, seems like a computer in the car is a touchy subject lol
the guys on mp3car.com dont seem to think so. If you think you know things about car audio, check out the car audio section in there. I thought I knew lots but there is so much info on that site its unbelievable. Theres tons of information about digital processors and software equipment that you couldnt even do with external hardware processors.

Im serious, atleast give it a shot, you dont need to register to read anything. OP: if you havent seen the mp3car site, atleast give it a read, itll definately help you through your install. Ive done many of these so its not really a big deal, but if your a first timer there is definately things to look out for, like sound card noise, proper sound card, optical signal or not, line drivers, ground loops, dc-dc psu's etc. You can use an dc powered inverter to provide AC power in your car, and hook it up as if it were in your home, though inverters use a modified sine wave, some electronics will get a "buzz" sound coming from their power supplies. In my experience it wont harm anything, it can just be annoying and you cant fix it unless you go to a DC power supply, which I did this time. Look up M2atx, its 160w.

edit: I should mention the buzz isnt loud, though if you had the device sitting on the seat next to you, you would be able to hear it. I had a home theater reciever in this one install, used an Audigy2 ZS Platinum sound card with those expansion bays. So I could provide an optical output from the computer. Not having to worry about input voltage and line noise, an optical signal is purely light. The amp also had things like time delays, individual channel boosts, bass/treble controls, and dts emulation too. Though all the emulation sounds better with movies, I used this "6 channel stereo" mode, where all the sided speakers get the same signal, as if it were in your car. The DTS stuff would differentiate the frequencies and play them on different speakers, if its a 2 channel sound you are "upsampling" and emulation to be a dts signal, it just doesnt sound as good IMO.

Yamaha RXV-450 was the amp, look up the specs if you want to know more. 90w/ channel, multiple inputs, 6.1. <$300 at the time. Sounded unbelievably clean

Old 11-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Youngstown97Sohc
Professional

thanks for hte info , ive checked on mp3car before and wasnt extremely impressed..i am making my own amp , and crossovers , along with a custom capacitor panel that boosts over 2kw , suspended cpu unit with onboard sound , into some signal cleaner-uppers a friend drew me a schematic for (looks like a quad-rectifier , but im not 100% sure yet) , and i will probably go with fiberglassing the monitor in once i get to NC .. i dont want to drive 500miles with fresh glass.... i did a 10" FG box in my old 87 accord and it thumped like hell , but even two years later when i sold it , it still smelled like resin... not pretty...but then again you couldnt smell it while driving b/c the hole i drilled in my thrush muffler let a lot of ehxaust into the cab...

hopefully ill be able to find a decent cheap mp3 cd player that i can stick in forthe ride down , and maybe a 10" cheap enough...

hova

Old 11-10-2006, 05:37 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran

A custom capaciter panel? Never heard of it. Onboard sound? Why not spend a little extra and get a better sound card? You will have so much more flexibility than the chips they put onboard, plus it wont steal cycles from the cpu. And what do you mean "signal cleaner-uppers"? How do you plan on cleaning up the signals? Just make sure your RCA's are away from power cables and stuff like that and you shouldnt need to clean up the signal. Mine isnt cleaned up right now, my line driver isnt even in yet and it sounds awesome.

Except this is kinda wierd, my lilliput monitor had a cig lighter plug with this "egg" inline, the egg is supposed to be like a voltage regulator. But it had some visual noise on the monitor, plus the monitor had a little bit of alternator whine coming from it. Yesterday the egg stopped outputting 12V, couldnt figure out why, so I cut it up, soldered in some longer wire and am powering it off the regulated 12V line from the power supply. The picture is cleaner and it doesnt "dim" when I crank. Its highly recommended if you are doing something like that. Regulated power is much better. (and safer). But it was good for about 4 hours then I started getting a little bit of alt whine from the speakers, no idea why, something I have to look into later

Quick Reply: re: carpute spex thread closed?