1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

engineProblems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 PM
ChUnKiE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE:engineProblems

I knew it...the guy that sold it to us was like ill check to make sure theres nothin wrong with the alternator..because the car battery was dead n they charged it and then said yea theres nothing wrong with the alternator so we got the car but there it something wrong with it... i thought so.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:01 PM
?ishu

I thought the car would still turn over if the alternator was screwed, is this incorrect? I unhook the battery cause it did get drained from sitting(or its the sparkplugs which I plan on replacing anyway) but I only cranked it once. Thats what screwed up the car in the first place, cranking it with no gas (by a so called mechanic NOT US)

Old 11-09-2006, 03:15 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is some good info...

* Car won't start, all I hear is a click but the engine does not turn.
o First check all battery cables for corrosion as this will keep power from flowing freely to the starting system. If they are dirty, clean with a wire brush and reattach. Apply a light coat of grease to the top of the terminals to prevent further corrosion.
o Battery could not have enough power stored in it to spin the engine. This can be caused by a bad cell in the battery or from a bad alternator not charging the battery when the engine is running. If you can get the car to a mechanic, have him or her test the battery and charging system with a special tester. This tester places a load on the battery and can tell the condition. They can also check to see if the alternator is working to it's full potential.
o Starter or solenoid could be bad. If you can not jump start the car and all of the battery cables are ok then suspect the starter.
* Car won't start, I hear nothing.
o Check battery cables as above.
o Have the battery tested. There could be a bad cell causing a short. You can try jump starting but often the car will not stay running.
* Car won't start, all I hear is a horrible grinding noise.
o Grinding noises point to the starter not properly meshing with the flywheel. This can be caused by a bad solenoid or a bad spot on the flywheel.
o I have also seen starters loosen up so they no longer contact the flywheel at the proper distance. While not common, it is something to keep in mind.
* Car starts but my headlights are dim at low engine speeds.
o Look to the alternator for problems. Take the car to your mechanic to have the alternator checked for proper operation.
o Check for loose wires going to the alternator. Also check for corrosion as this will inhibit the alternator from charging properly.
o Check the tension on the alternator belt. If it is too loose, the belt may slip and not drive the alternator properly.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:20 PM
hnda8r
Captain

^^ [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 11-09-2006, 05:56 PM
ChUnKiE

Thankz for the helpful info! Although we know the battery is full because its brand new. We only tryed startin the car once with it. We've kinda looked at the wires for the battery but we should check again. Im leaning more towards it, most likly being the alternator. But it would be great if it wasn't somethin as big as that. We've already spent almost as much money fixing the car as we spent buying it.....and we havent even had the chance to drive the thing once yet! We got the car dealer ship guy to drive it to our house for us...we had it running it ran out of gas n my dad decided to keep tryin to start it after it ran out of gas. Than after he was like oh well ya know its bad to run your car down to no gas and then try to start it...n i was like well then y did you do it...n he was like "oh don't blame it on me that your car is broken....your cars just a peice of ****!"[:@][:@]

Old 11-09-2006, 06:37 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

does the engine turn over at all? or do u just hear the starter? I would check and see if it has any spark 2 cause if the coil is completely shot then that could cause it not to start... probably another stupid question but one time my wires to the coil somehow got loose and my car wouldn't start till i found out that it was just the wire and pluged it back in and it started right up. You could also before turning the key to the start position just turn it to the on position and listen for the fuel pump and then wait a little for it to build up pressure in the lines and then turn it onto the start position.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:47 PM
ChUnKiE

The engine doesnt turn over at all. You dont even here the starter...you just here a sound coming from the gasket valve...so im not sure....i wouldnt even know where to look for the wires to the coil....but it would be great if it was jus a loose wire....cuz i dont have ne more money to put into the car right now...n i wont for a long while...

Old 11-10-2006, 02:13 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: ChUnKiE

you just here a sound coming from the gasket valve
What are you talking about?

ORIGINAL: ChUnKiE

i wouldnt even know where to look for the wires to the coil
I think neoncrazy101 is referring to your spark plug wires.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:19 PM
ChUnKiE

Ok...the gasket valve makes a noise like it is tryin to turn over...or do somthin...but the starter doesnt even click. I dont really know how to explain it....i dont know much about cars at all...im kinda learning as i go. N iight ill check out how the spark plugs are doin...n if there connected properly...thankz!!!!

Old 11-10-2006, 05:34 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

actually i was talking about that little electrical clip on the side but oh well lol...if the engine doesn't even turn over then u shouldn't be hearing anything from the valves... try jumping it with another battery to make sure that the battery has enough juice. even though it may be new and all it could of drained it just barely enough...