1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

New Windshield Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:21 PM
tonybonekhang
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Windshield Q

I'll be picking up the car later this week. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:02 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tonybonekhang

I'll be picking up the car later this week. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Keep us updated.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:18 AM
IGottaFreeNeon
Professional

What's the gasket?
I needed a gasket for the rear window. You may not need one for the windshield. I would be sure to put the sealant on nice and thick. It really can't be over sealed. Know what I mean. And you may not want to drive it right away, and also when you close the doors afterwards, be real careful not to slam them shut. You may pop your window out or make a small hole in the sealant where the air escaped when you shut the door. Then it would be all bad.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:45 AM
tonybonekhang

So I'm located in central WI and we're currently looking at near or below freezing temps. Is that gonna affect how the sealant cures or is it pretty much all-temp?

Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 AM
jared6180
Professional

I would try to put it in a garage for a night or two. In Kansas we get frost almost every night in the winter, so the liquid from the frost would be my only concern. other then that I would let the car sit a little longer because of the extreme temps before driving.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:29 AM
spudsterier
Legend

deffinately do it inside....the colder it is the longer it takes to cure

Old 11-23-2006, 11:27 PM
tonybonekhang

Got the car home the other day. On the drive home I discovered that the Driver-Rear brake line was rusted through. Not a fun experience. Luckily we had a train with one car in front and behind me as I drove it home (standing on the brakes at every light/sign wasn't fun). Told the owner I'd give him payment once I get an estimate on the repairs on the brake line. Turns out a local shop wants $80 to fix it. I have to call him later and see if he'll lower the price cause of this.

Anyways I couldn't figure out how to remove the gasket/edging on the windshield. It's that rubber/plastic piece that covers the edges around the sides and top. Do I just give it a good pull or do I have to do something else? If I can't figure it out I'll probably just end up smashing the whole windshield out (there's already pieces of glass all over the car and in the vents).

Old 11-24-2006, 10:52 AM
spudsterier
Legend

suwhere around the windshield that strip has a seam where the ends butt together.....use a pair of pliers, grip it good and pull it out all the way around

Old 12-01-2006, 09:20 PM
tonybonekhang

Well, heres the story:

Cut out the old gasket with a cold knife. Then I proceeded to cut the urethane bead with it. Didn't do so well so I decided not to use the cold knife and just started putting a hammer to it. Smashed in the edges and then pulled out the middle. We then cut the bead out from the inside with some utility knives. Got it out and cleaned up in a few hours. The part that was dented in was made of thin sheetmetal so I pretty much straightened it by hand.

The next day I picked up the windshield, gasket, prepping pads, and sealant for about $125 from a glass guy. Test fit the windshield 5 or 6 times to make sure we could line it up properly. Finally I prepped the frame, snapped on the gasket and layed down a nice bead of sealant. We picked up the windshield and set it down on the car. Only this time it looked like the bottom portion was riding on the bead of sealant so I gave it a push down and....*CRACK*. The new windshield split right up the middle. Turns out that damn wiper motor that was pushed in slipped underneath the windshield a little bit and when I pushed down it was enough to crack it. Cursing with every word I know we pulled the windshield off, scraped off the sealant and called the glass guy for another windshield.

He dropped off the new one this morning and we set it in with no troubles, aside from the additional $105 for the second windshield. Left the defroster on high for a few hours to help cure the sealant. The car is going to the Tech College tommorow morning for a new brake line (can't beat $10 an hour labor!).

Old 12-01-2006, 10:12 PM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran

didnt see this post when you first posted so sorry i couldnt help with your removal the best way to remove a windshield is get some cable (ex: hood release or thinner) stab it through the seam then have someone on the inside and you on the outside, both grip the cable with a pair of needle nose pliers then work it back and forth keepin them as flat against the windshield as you can and work it back and forth all the way around until your done...then it pops out for future references

Quick Reply: New Windshield Q