1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

New Windshield Q

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Dazzellerr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Windshield Q

they actually make a tool for it, it uses piano wire and two red handles you "twist" the ends of the cable into, if you were closer, i would lend you mine from the shop. definatly a two person job to remove, as well as install. the wire acts like a saw and will cut through the old sealant as well as any metal that is in the way. should take about 2 hours to remove, go down and get the new glass, and install. we have done it on a few cars.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:15 PM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran

well being a "not well off" kid (poor ) we used pliers and cable lol but always a 2 person job i dont think anyone alive has long enough arms to do it right themselves :P

Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 PM
tonybonekhang

I'll definately use the piano wire method if I ever have to do it again. I was going to use that method but I didn't get any while I was out and didn't want to leave again (hence the hammer). The glass was already caved in and all over the interior so it's not like it made a difference in cleanup. I was amazed how quickly we went through razor blades cleaning it up though. They stay sharp for about 4 inches of urethane then need to be replaced.

Anyways warming up the car as we speak to drop it off. Don't want to try making it through traffic tomorrow morning with no brakes. I figure I'll throw it in the lot of the school tonight. That way I can just pull it in in the morning. Possible pics sometime this weekend. It's not much to look at though. Total cost so far: $160 for car, $125 for glass/sealant, $105 for glass again. Shouldn't be no more than $20 for the brake lines.

BTW the wiper motor (or rather, wiper transmission) is screwed. The rod that comes out of the motor and connects to the passenger "turny thingy" (which happens to drive both "turny thingies") got disconnected. Does it just snap in or do I need a whole new transmission/motor? If so does anyone have one for sale? Need a hood, too.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:32 AM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

pm sent.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:52 AM
tonybonekhang

^ email sent.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:40 PM
tonybonekhang

New brake line got put in for about $27. 10 for labor and 16 for parts plus tax. However it seems I have a messed up brake master cylinder now from driving it with the brake pedal to the floor. Now I gotta start shopping for one of those...hopefully this doesn't go on.

Quick Reply: New Windshield Q