1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Question: is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006 | 01:05 PM
NeonX143
Default Question: is it worth it?

Ok I am trying to get a better car. My first love was the SRT-4, but I've been looking at other things as well.

I have a 99 Dodge Neon sport, 2d, DOHC, etc etc.
I've been trying to sell it for a while, but I kind of ignore anyone with an offer (because I wanted $2k, and I bought it for $3,500) only getting offers for about $1500.
Well as time goes on, it burns oil, the motor mounts are basically gone~, the bumber clips got messed up and part of it is kind of hanging off, the transmission slightly slips, the sunroof hasn't worked since I bought it (it's off track), the passenger door bolts fell off (but i got the bolts again from the junk yard), and its rediculous how I have to fix it just to get the door closed (I'll explain later). The alignment is slightly off, but that's the least of the problems. Anyway, as you can see there are quite a few problems, but nothing too hard that some one loyal can't fix.
Is $1700 good for a trade in value? I think so because they haven't even thoroughly checked it...wait til they see the passenger door [:'(] and I'm hoping they won't inspect it any more for when I pick up the other car.
The motor mounts on the one I'm buying is bad and it also has an ideling problem (but I kno some one who will rewire that for free) so I got them to lower it 300 dollars just for those two specific problems. The new car is a Civic Hatchback, with some pretty good parts, PM me if you want more info on it.
I'm buying the car for $3,500 plus My neon....
[This is really a disorganized post, but I'm trying to get all the words out for now, I just really need some advice...ASAP]

-tbc

Old 11-22-2006 | 01:28 PM
QuiK615
Veteran
Default RE: Question: is it worth it?

With all those conditions you just described your not gunna get anything near 2000. I would take this offer and get rid of it.

Old 11-22-2006 | 01:59 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i would deffinately take 1700 out of it....i find it lucky of you to even get offered 1500

Old 11-22-2006 | 02:05 PM
das2123
Legend

Take the $1700 trade-in and run!!!!

Old 11-22-2006 | 02:14 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i still cant believe the dealer gave us 3500.00 for the jeep and the neon when we traded them for the PT...

the neon had 140,000 miles, a bad rod knock, needed 2 new door panels, blad tires on the front, dented hood, and it leaked oil..
the jeep had 240,000 miles, no brakes, missing a good chunk of the floor(though the carpet was there), leaked exhaust into the cab real bad, tranny didnt shift very often, real bad shocks, leaked oil real bad, alot of dents, broken turn signal lens, no low beams(only highs), slight rod knock...

we got a hell of a deal

Old 11-22-2006 | 02:43 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

depens where you want to end up. it sound like a perfect chance to rebuild somthing nasty. but if your not feeling it dump her off and try again.

Old 11-23-2006 | 06:56 PM
JDC420
Professional

Spud I thought you rebuilt the Neon you traded in??????? It had a bad rod knock and leaked oil after you rebuilt it?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Old 11-23-2006 | 09:29 PM
spudsterier
Legend

well we decided to trade it in so i kinda half assed it........the dealer pissed me off after i got my rango so i figured they can take the car as it is and shove it

Old 11-27-2006 | 03:57 PM
NeonX143
Default !!

Welll I did trade it in. I signed all the papers, making it clear that each car was to be sold "as is".

So AFTER signing the papers they decided to test drive the neon. And then wanted another 2 hundred dollars. (putting it back to a price that I talked them out of). They mentioned how the motor mounts were bad, and another part was broken and would cost a lot to fix. Should I be a bitch and NOT give them the money saying the papers are signed, and that they should have inspected it before hand?

I am having to replace most of the motor mounts in this car, and have to get rewiring, and a couple little things. Oh and they didn't mention that the car didn't have speakers. but I guess that's my fault for not actually testing it...

Anyway anyone have advice?

Old 11-27-2006 | 04:03 PM
95neonriceeater
Record Breaker
Default RE: !!

they can have the crappy motor mounts

and you can have no speakers

sounds like a fair trade to me

Quick Reply: Question: is it worth it?