1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

bad day

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:39 PM
fullbuilt
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad day

i had a thred on the 2nd gen site about horrer stories with there neons. but people seem to scared to admit they pushed it to far. anyone hear got any.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:08 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Default RE: bad day

Yes, i bought a neon, and the **** hit the fan, along with the front bumper gauge cluster and air bags...

Old 11-27-2006, 10:56 PM
HabitatHxC
Captain

Ive broken two auto trannys, The first was me being young and foolish... and neutral dropping it... Then the second was just holding the gears out too long and doing some wet burnouts and i poped the differential pin out, This time i have a shift kit put in, And shes runnin smooth=D (i would have a 5spd. but my parents still rule over me =( ) I popped a head gasket on my way to maryland, (i live in central ohio) I was about 45 minutes on my way luckly, i got it home safe and sound. I put a cam in, and shortly after i had a lash adjuster pop off at 100mph, i didnt know what it was till i got it towed home the next day and investigated. It made a ugly clacking sound... *shutters* ew... And thats about all she wrote "knock on wood".

Old 11-28-2006, 01:14 AM
95neonriceeater
Record Breaker

i was driving home and some guy was driving behind me and had his high beams on and i shredded my tired on a curb

after putting my stock shifter back on i was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and hte bushing came off in the middle of the road in the middle of the day about an 1/8 a mile from the nearest gas station

and my latest was driving down the same road the bushing came off and my water pump shattered
the car kept stalling and it was leaking water everywhere
my friend and i pushed it to the same parking lot as the gas station, hahah

Old 11-28-2006, 01:48 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first neon i broke the timing belt after having it for less then a week.....got a new motor and a month later i hit a flooded road...got another new motor and traded the car.....

got my first r/t and blew out 1st and 2nd gears.....replaced the tranny......blew out that one on the way home from carlisle PA.....it had 3 holes the size of your fist in the casing.....
then about a year later i was racing my friend in his GTP.....just started to pass him and hit the 4th gear rev limiter....broke #1 connecting rod, bent 3 valves, broke 1 valve off, messed up a few rockers and my intake cam shaft......and ended up breaking half the piston up into tiny pieces....

got my red r/t and clipped a semi trailer with it at 90mph......
just blew out the tranny a couple weeks ago....

Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 AM
fullbuilt
All Star

allright thats much better. racing an evo who at the time had me beat, but he was creaping into the corners like someones grandma. passed him on a turn and kissed the gaured rail at 100mph. it slid me around like a matchbox car on one of those plastic tracks. i got out in front but did a ton of damage.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:28 AM
jared6180
Professional

I got my first neon, it was a 95 base model with grey bumpers and all!!! Had it about 6 months and did not really change the oil and blew the motor, and within 100 miles the auto tranny blew, honestly not sure how that happened because I did not drive crazy back then like i do now.

Then I got my 98 Sport about 1.5 years ago, and it was trouble from the start. Dealer replaced cam position sensor within 1 hour of me buying the car, then two days later I had to pay to have another cam position sensor put in and the first one went bad(never buy from dealers in texas when you live in kansas). Then the motor mounts both went bad. Then all my lights stopped working for no reason, fixed an electrical problem and then most of them burnt out within a month of each other. then the slternator belt broke when the gf was driving it to work, she said it acted funny for a little bit and then could not get it started after work as it had completely killed the battery, so I replaced the battery and alternator as it had locked up causing the malfunction. then i had to replace two wheels as the magically stopped holding air, and nobody could understand how it could happen to one wheel much less two wheels on the SAME car! then it started running hot and nearly overheating, replaced thermostat, radiator, and finally had to replace the cracked head. then the fuel pump started going out, and finally died. and last but not least, the dip $#it that owned the car before me decided to put motor oil in the braking system, this caused the rubber lines to swell, and lets just say I had to repalce the entire brake system to get rid of the darm thing for $1500. By far the worst car I EVER owned,and mad me think twice, three times, four times, five times, six times about buying another Neon, but the last 4 have been great, no complaints at all!!!

Old 11-28-2006, 10:26 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant complain too much about the car i have now.....i have driven the hell out of it for the last 70,000 miles and other then replacing most of the front end after clipping the semi, the only mechanical things that have ever really gone wrong with the car is that it needed a new radiator and a new pcm....well, and now the tranny