1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

speedo isnt working

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 02:32 PM
blackattack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo isnt working

well i bought a used gauge cluster off ebay from a 95. Put it in and the speedo and odemeter doesnt work still. The right side of the gauge cluster connecter isnt their, they singly wired them in and i wondered if they mixed them up. Anybody now the correct colors in order? And somebody mentioned my vss is bad. Where is that located?

Old 11-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Only Another
Rookie
Default RE: speedo isnt working

When my speedo went bad, it wasnt actually the speedo...the plastic gear inside the tx that spins the speed sensor slipped up so i had to take it out and stick it back in...but if your tack works still, then that could be the problem...to find out ( only do this if the MPH needle slightly bounces or dosent move but your rpm are still functional) take off the speed sensor that is bolted on the tx, and reach your finger down there and try to wiggle a gear around

Old 11-30-2006, 03:06 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could still be the gauge cluster being bad...here's a thread on how to fix it... right here

it could also be your speed sensor...when i got a new cluster it still didn't work so i decided to run the codes and it said no signal from speed sensor...turns out the shop we took it to to get the clutch replaced didn't connect the speed sensor again[:@]

Old 11-30-2006, 03:29 PM
blackattack

where is teh speed sensor? is it on top of tranny to the left of the downpipe right?

Old 11-30-2006, 03:56 PM
spudsterier
Legend

on top of the tranny straight down below the brake booster......if you take it out then becareful.....the gear is connected to the sensor by 2 small clips.....dont try and pull it off unless its out of the car.....and the gear is barely smaller then the hole it goes in, so pull it out gently

Old 11-30-2006, 03:57 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

on the 5-speeds its right on the bottom facing up... that is if your looking from the engine bay and u look down and over u will see it...have to take out the fuse back to see it though... as for the autos. i haven't a clue...i think its near the front to the right. not sure though

edit: where Spud said it was lol

Old 11-30-2006, 04:00 PM
spudsterier
Legend

on the autos is located basically in the same spot......but on the 5-speeds its located on the flat spot of the tranny where the cable bracket is at.....the autos have it mounted on the drivers side ouput shaft

Old 11-30-2006, 04:11 PM
blackattack

i dont understand what they mean by reflow? I have a soldering iron and some soldering wire how do i go about doing it

Old 11-30-2006, 05:22 PM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran

just touch the tip of the soldering iron to the points circled...it will start to burn and change color slightly...when it does its "reflowed"

Quick Reply: speedo isnt working