1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

MOTOR SWAP??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:20 AM
booger32907
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOTOR SWAP??

Hey yall i just picked up a 95' neon 2.0 auto, with graphix and rims and stuff. tried to start it and motor was locked, pulled spark plugs and put some oil in cylinders and #1 and #4 the oil went straight past pistons into the pan so rings are bad motor siezed. Ive never messed with a neon so how hard is it to find a motor and how hard it it to swap, rember this is my first FWD motor swap ive done RWD all the time but this is a first, how long will it take and how much $$

Also motor comes out from bottom or top??

Old 01-17-2007, 03:30 AM
DNeon
Professional
Default RE: MOTOR SWAP??

hey just wonderin...wat makes you think its seized? I thought the same for my engine too...but it turned out to b the alternator from the car sittin tooooo long. I've found that the Neon is pretty easy to work on, everything is pretty much out in the open once you get the battery and tray out. the engine bay isnt all cramped up.
you dont have to find a nex engine, why not just rebuild wat you have? instead of puttin money into a used engine take that money an upgrade =D. and the engine can go from either top or bottom but if you plan on takin out the tranny with the engine you're better off goin down.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:33 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've never taken the engines out but from what i've heard is that their pretty easy, as long as u take the tranny out with it.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 AM
booger32907

Im sure the motor is seized it sat for 3yrs with water i cylinders spark plugs has lots of growth on them. in order to rebuil this motor id have to get the cylinders honed and the valves redone, were guessing the guy might have blown a head gasket or just sucked water in the intake, not sure.Im not sure how much a motor is at a junk yard but for the price of rebuildingthe motor and sending block and head to machine shop id be spending about the same im guessing, or more. and its faster just to put another motor in.I build race motorson the side for $$$ but for mustangs and camaros and stuff like that, ive never had to pull sumtin like this before and kinda need some tips on how, an dhow long itl take

Old 01-17-2007, 10:19 AM
hnda8r
Captain

Well I found out last week that I may havea cracked block. We are going to try to put the old head ( after cleaning it up, and diff cam ) back on and see if maybe we can save the block, but its not looking too good. So as a backup plan, we scoped out a couple boneyards and came across an entire engine w/ only 65k on it for 350, and the boneyard guy pulls it for us. Thats pretty dam good. So if you need a Neon engine, hit the boneyards up, you never know what you'll find.

Its fricken freezing over here, but if we have to get this engine, if it wasnt soo cold we can get it done in about a day. Since its %&* freezing here it might take us a lil longer. Oh well.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:27 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: DNeon
you dont have to find a nex engine, why not just rebuild wat you have?
Because it's cheaper to get a $200-$300 used engine and drop it in.

Pull the engine from the top with the tranny.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
spudsterier
Legend

there is a post in here sumwhere recently about taking outthe engine

it is so easy and doesnt take much to do....as long as you have the right tools

Old 01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

other than the basics like sockets and wrenches. it would be better to have the following
blue piont pully puller or one of a few others that im sure someone will mention, standered pullers dont work so well.
impact wrench, so you dont have to use a prybar to hold parts
hoist. even thoe it has to come out with the tranny its still better to go out the top
motor stand, so you can work on the new motor before it gose in and not have it sittin on the ground
torgue wrench
thats all i can think off the top of my head, anything im missing?

Quick Reply: MOTOR SWAP??