1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Tranny/Clutch Noise.... HELP FAST

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:54 PM
fastcat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny/Clutch Noise.... HELP FAST

Hi guys/gals Im new here and I have a problem. I bought an 97 Neon w/ a SOHC and 5spd manual with only 61k ORIGINAL miles. Well when I start the car up and release the clutch pedal the clutch/tranny makes this awful chattering noise, but it will not make the noise at all if the pedal is push down to the floor.... Sounds as if something is moving around in a circular motion. The noise isnt consistant w/ the engines rpms either, weather im reving it up or driving it. Plus it goes away sometimes but it always comes back. And I dont know if this other problem is related but I cant get the tranny in 5th gear (cant find the gear at all) and in 2nd gear if I dont hit it just right it grinds. Anyways, I thought it was the TOB (throwout bearing), but I took it to a tranny shop and he said it sounds more severe than that and he said its probably the front input shaft. He also stated that w/ these trannys the input shaft comes straight out of the tranny case and wears down and there is no way to replace the case so I need a new tranny and recommended me to get a used one. What do you think? I believe w/ the miles on the car there is no way the tranny is trashed.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:18 PM
NEONRT98
All Star
Default RE: Tranny/Clutch Noise.... HELP FAST

Well, you dont know how well the prior owner knew how to drive the manual transaxel. I would think it is just the TOB, these cars are known for making some tranny noise like you described. Mine did it and I had no problems. It did it especially when it was cold, but it went away when it warmed up. If it is trashed and you can still use it, use it til it dies, I say :-D

Old 02-14-2007, 03:24 PM
fastcat

I would use it if the noise wasnt so loud... lol, and the noise does go almost completely away once the car is warmed... But it rattles every so often. Do the front shafts go bad normally or fast??

Old 02-14-2007, 03:27 PM
prplhaze
Professional

Sounds like something wrong with thte tranny itself.If 5th gear is missing, and 2nd gear grinds.My 2nd gear used to grind with my old clutch, but I always had 5th.The noise your hearing is probably the throwout bearing.Mine squeels all the time.You can try spraying some wd-40 on the clutch cable, and working it back and forth a bunch..might free it up some.

As far as input shaft...Ive taken my tranny out at least twice now.Im guessing hes talking about the DRIVE shaft.Only thing that wears out there to my knowledge is the pin inside the tranny, at the differential, can break.The car would not move if that happened though.

Have you checked the transmission fluid.? There is a rubber plug you can pull out and stick your finger in there to make sure its full...and clean.(At least there is on the 95's).

You said the noise goes away sometimes.? The noise my throwout bearing makes always goes away after the car is warmed up.

Hope I helped some....let us know anything else you figure out.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:52 PM
fastcat

Well Ive only driving the car 3 times.....

1. Test drove it but before I drove it I let it stay started about 15-20min then drove about a mile and the noise almost completely went away... It just chattered every now and then. (about 35* outside)

2. I drove it home when I bought it (about 15mi different day) and by the time I got home it didnt make any more noise (wanst too cold outside about 40*)

3. Drove it to the tranny shop (about 3mi and kind of cold 30ish*) and it made the noise all the way there and back, but when I got back home it wasnt that intense

Oh yea, I forgot to add that after it warms up it pops out of 3rd gear but I can always put it back in gear

Old 02-14-2007, 04:03 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its popping out of gear check the fluid level and/or your syncro assembly is going bad.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:07 PM
johnneon
Captain

i would say its ur release bearing,,mine does it when cold,?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:03 AM
fastcat

Well I took the car to the tranny shop and they pulled it out and told me there was very little fluid in it along w/ metal shavings. So I got another tranny put in and throwout bearing.... And it will be ready tomorrow. Thanks and I tought I would just give you all an update

Old 02-27-2007, 03:01 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you will be back on the road.

Quick Reply: Tranny/Clutch Noise.... HELP FAST