1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2 more questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
danhalen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 more questions

As stated in an earlier thread, I just purchased a '98 Neon DOHC.

The radiator seems like it is just sitting in there loose. It is fairly snug at the bottom, but at the top there are 2 rubber bushings (?) that hold it in place. What confuses me is that when the fans kick on the radiator shakes. Also, I can wiggle the radiator from front to back. Is this normal?

Secondly,is there any way to quiet down these rear drum breaks? The humidity here was pretty high yesterday and when I got in to move it the rear breaks sounded like a train coming to a screetching halt. I just replaced the front pads/rotors. Should I replace the rear drums/shoes or will cleaning them help?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:57 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2 more questions

its normal for the radiator to move a little in the rubber bushings, allows some give so the plastic tanks wont crack.
the rear brakes on neons are notorious for squealing constantly and it gets annoyng as hell, i had to pull the rear drums about once a month and clean the crap out to get them to shut up.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM
prplhaze
Professional

My rear drums got so bad on me that they actually locked up on me when I went to takeoff once.I put it in reverse, and got it to free up in order to get where I had to go, but I replaced the next day, and found out that one of the pads inside there had come apart and was riding in there freely.I would at least get them checked out.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:15 PM
kingof97neon

u can put disc brakes on the back and u will not have to worry about it anymore

Old 03-14-2007, 04:29 PM
illegalneon

never had any problems with my rear brakes but then again i have rear disc because i don't like to take damn near an hour and a half to change the drums....personally i'd make the change to dics

Quick Reply: 2 more questions