1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

My bottom end budget build PIX ADDED!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:59 AM
HabitatHxC
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My bottom end budget build PIX ADDED!

Good question! Is it nessisary to rebalence? As for Main studs, Where could i find stock ones, I looked but i may have just missed them! Also Who knows about how much it would be to bore a block .020 over? And again, Would you be able to run 12.5:1 with 93 octane?

On a nother note What color should i do my block, I thought about doin Yellow but DAZZLERS already has yellow taken, So What about green =D It would be flashy, AND it would match the car! Finnally how hot does a block get? if its under 500 I can use krylon fusion because it works for anything!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:24 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sumthing you have to remember is that any bright color is gonna show dirt and oil alot better then a dark color.....but either way, im doin my block red

the block gets preety hot but im not positive on an exact temp....

honestly, you can run that compression on 87 octane....i just wouldnt plan on the car being very healthy but 93 hould work fine for you

the eagle rods are close to stock weight, but not exactly......the pistons are the really light part.....
unless you are doing a completely stock rebuild i would deffinatelly reccomend getting the crank balanced...mine is getting done and any performance build should have it done too

its very difficult for most people to give you a price on a bore job since every shop is different and there are alot of factors involved

Old 03-20-2007, 04:27 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

so what if you dont balance the crank?? will that mess anything up? my crank is only getting cleaned and polished

Old 03-20-2007, 04:30 PM
BadBrads97Neon
All Star

ORIGINAL: FastNeon84

so what if you dont balance the crank?? will that mess anything up? my crank is only getting cleaned and polished
yeah I was wondering that same thing.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:42 PM
HabitatHxC
Captain

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

sumthing you have to remember is that any bright color is gonna show dirt and oil alot better then a dark color.....but either way, im doin my block red

the block gets preety hot but im not positive on an exact temp....

honestly, you can run that compression on 87 octane....i just wouldnt plan on the car being very healthy but 93 hould work fine for you
I dont mind runnin some HIGH octane just not EVERY DAY! I already run 93 every day so its not a problem with expences there. IM prolly gunna get painting here once the weather gets better.

So i should take my block pistons, rods, rings, wristpins into a shop and say "HERE build!" ?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:53 PM
BadBrads97Neon
All Star

You could do that haha but you wanna wanna tell them a little more information that just build. I mean they will know what you mean but you might wanna ask a few questions before you just take it in and say build. Ask how much? How long? Are you gonna do it here or ship it out? Just try to get some information about the price and build time before you take it in. Thats what I think anyway. Hope everything goes ok and keep us updated.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:01 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not worrie about how much the work is gonna cost....i told the guy that no matter what it costs, just do what you gotta do....
your gonna want to go in to the shop and ask him what ALL needs to be done....and ask him what everything is gonna cost, make sure he writes it all down and expalins what everything is.....tell him you want a quote for getting the block bored/honed and everything else needed...even see what it would cost to have them install all the components...
i know the guy thats doin my work, so it was easy to just basically say here, call me when its done...i wouldnt suggest you do that unless you know the person, otherwise they might just tell you a bunch of crap you dont need that might just sound good...

balancing the crank will help give your car a smoother idle and the motor will just last longer.....plus it helps against spinning any bearings and other internal problems....any motor that is gonna have an expensive build or more then stock hp/tq should always have the crank balanced to make up for the lighter pistons, rods, and other rotating assembly components....in order to balance the crank, the shop will need your flywheel, crank, pistons, rods, rings, wrist pins, and harmonic balancer

Old 03-20-2007, 08:15 PM
HabitatHxC
Captain

Good info! I called the shop and they quoted me about 350ish to balence and assemble. WOO

Old 03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
BadBrads97Neon
All Star

Hey not a bad price at all man. Good job.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:57 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: spudsterier
balancing the crank will help give your car a smoother idle and the motor will just last longer.....plus it helps against spinning any bearings and other internal problems....any motor that is gonna have an expensive build or more then stock hp/tq should always have the crank balanced to make up for the lighter pistons, rods, and other rotating assembly components....in order to balance the crank, the shop will need your flywheel, crank, pistons, rods, rings, wrist pins, and harmonic balancer
well it looks like my block will be in the machine shop longer than expected.....[:@]now i got to ask him how much he'll charge to do that

Quick Reply: My bottom end budget build PIX ADDED!