1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Cosmetic/General Truck enhancement. 1989 w150

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
aal3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosmetic/General Truck enhancement. 1989 w150

Hey guys,

I'm new to all this, I was recently given my Grandfather's 1989 Dodge Ram W150 and I love it. My father and I have done a good amount of work such as replaced the catalytic converter, took apart and cleaned most things under the hood (it had been sitting for 5+ years), we have began to sand and do some body work, we put new tires on, etc.

` I would like to maybe lift it or just make it look a little beefier and I was wondering what the cheapest and best looking option would be. Spacers, Body lift, etc. Now I am a 17 year old kid so money is pretty limited so the cheaper the better. I also am currently in the process of painting it primer black to help cover all the rust, and then from there once I make enough money maybe paint it. Anybody know any cheap ways to paint it? As opposed to spending like a thousand bucks at a place.

Also I think I want to put either a new tip and muffler or full new exhaust system in, which is more practical, cheaper, and better sounding?

You guys definitely know more than I do so any advice on how to make it look awesome would be very appreciated. I also would like to do performance upgrades at some point but I think they are way more expensive than cosmetic, but if I am wrong please correct me, cause that would be awesome too!

I'll upload some photos of what it was when i got it and what it is now once I get the chance.

Thanks everyone

Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

there is no cheap way to lift a truck. save up some money and do it the proper.

also you may want to get some paint on that primer as soon as you can or you may have an even bigger rust in the future. most primers are not sealers and need a coat of paint to seal them even if it is just a clear coat.

if the muffler is not rusted out then i would leave it alone. i would not waste money replacing something when there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Sniper X
Captain

I would do this in this order.

POR15 or other rust fixer preventive all the rusty sport and paint them with satin black paint, not primer. Crazy is right and most primers that aren't sealers will get and hold moisture. Satin will protect it to a point then is easily paintable with a little color sanding.

On the exhaust, leave it alone unless you can swap out the muffler with a flowmaster. Otherwise since it isn't a ricer, it won't sound any different with a "tip" on it.

On the lift, I would figure out exactly what you wanted to do with it. If you want to lift it for looks, then a set of front springs to lift it 2in or so and a set of blocks for the rear although I highly suggest saving up and getting a whole lift kit that is all springs and doing a 4in kit then save for the tyres, wheels, gear changes and everything else you need with a lift. The trucks can be a money pit!!!!! There is much more to it than throwing on a big set of tyres and liftkit. Bigger tyres also need bigger brakes and gears or else you run into all sorts of problems.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There really aren't many go-fast mods for a TBI motor unless you have a lot of cash to throw around.

I painted my truck with rustoleum and a roller, and I couldn't have asked for more for $100. Search "paint suggestions" on here to find my thread. My thread details painting it twice.

I'm running a straight pipe with a cat, and my truck feels quieter than most people with flowmasters. You can replace your muffler with a glasspack, or just pipe (if you can get around inspection), or a cheaper thrush "loud" muffler for less than $50. It's not going to sound like a race car, but it will growl.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Unless you are gonna do some hardcore off roading then a lift with blocks in the rear would be fine. DO NOT put blocks in the front though. The only way to lift the front end is to replace the springs with lifted ones, or you could do add-a-leaf if you dont mind a stiffer ride, same as with the rear. I have a 4in lift on my truck. Blocks in the rear. Ive got tips too but they dont actually do anything. Pretty much just for looks

As for exhuast. I have single into duel out the muffler. Series 40 flowmaster. Nothing crazy or harsh like a glasspack but it sounds good.

Rough Country has the cheapest lift kits Ive seen at around 400 dollars

wontacceptthis's rustoleum paint job is pretty sharp

Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 PM
LA6-250
Rookie

depending on your confidence level, and attention to detail. find yourself some 2" pipe (carbon steel or stainless steel) look under your truck and count the mounting points for the cab and bed, etc. cut that many 2" - 3" pieces of that 2" pipe, go out and buy new grade 8 bolts length and diameter appropriate, and some thread lock. slip those spacers you cut up on in there bolt it down, make sure everything is realigned properly, then step back and smile. I went with 2" spacers on mine and my steering coupler was fine, 3" would be the max most people would say to do. your shifter on the column will be wrong now, just get someone to sit in the truck and put the bad boy in park, and then just loosen the linkage and tighten it back down to where it wants to be. cycle through the gears to make sure it's right. when I did it to my truck, it cost $10.37

Old 07-30-2013, 06:28 PM
LA6-250
Rookie

what motor is in it? how loud do you want it to be?

Old 10-11-2013, 11:13 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

For paint you could check into Duplicolor's color shop system it's a laquer based system with a primer, colour coats and clear anyways they make a few diffrent colours I did redid my 85 long box this summer for a total cost of under 400 bucks canadian I did a 2 tone job and am plenty happy with it so far. they even have videos and stuff online to help ya if your new to paint. have fun

Quick Reply: Cosmetic/General Truck enhancement. 1989 w150