1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

318 will not accelerate! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:45 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the top of the air cleaner. Look down inside the throttle body when the truck is running. At the base of each injector you should see a fine cone of fuel. The cone should be solid and even with no gaps or streams. The base of each cone should touch the sides of the throttle body throat.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:06 AM
out of my mind
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i noticed one of the injectors was clogged, I took out both and cleaned them and when back in truck ran good for a couple of hours then crap again, does this mean i need injectors or possibly have something in the gas tank that is getting thru the fuel filter, by the way i just put a new one on last month

Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is little chance anything is getting thru the filter unless the filter is damaged. There is a possibility that contamination got in the line when you changed the filter. Are the fuel lines after the filter rusting? What did you get out of the injectors when you cleaned them?

If the injectors are both flowing fuel (even if the cone pattern is not correct) I would add a can of Seafoam to a full tank of gas. Run the whole tank thru before refueling and see if that clears the problem. If it does not, replacement of the injector/injectors is usually needed. If one of the injectors is not passing any fuel you can check the electrical pulse to the injector with a noid light or replace the injector.

Quick Reply: 318 will not accelerate! Please help