1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cam/ lumpy idle 318

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009 | 10:22 PM
NAR-D150
|
Default cam/ lumpy idle 318

i love the lumpy idle sound, my truck sounds really nice when i first start it after a day of sitting (flowmaster 40, no cat), i was wondering if that is a carb adjustment, i have also heard that it is due to a different camshaft? if i was going to get a different camshaft would i have to change anything else besides the timing? thanks also what cam duration and cam company to buy from and stay away from

Old 03-26-2009 | 10:34 PM
NAR-D150
|

forgot to also ask how easy for me to put cam in, or how much would it generally cost to have one put in? thanks

Old 03-27-2009 | 09:40 PM
83dodgeswb4x4
Professional

Carb adjustment really has little to do with loping engines. This can be effected slightly by adjusting the timing, but its mostly the cam that gives the lope. I've had good luck with both Edlebrock and Crane cams. Most of the name brands I would be willing to use. As for componets, with an engine thats worn, its suggested replacing liftes, which is no big deal as they normally come with the cam. Installing one involves pulling the radiator, the water pump and the timing cover. If you check out the web sites for most cam manufactures, they should have a chart indicating if the cam lopes or has a smooth idle. It really depends on if you want low end torque or high end as to lift and duration. normally long duration, and high lift lends itself towards torque. where as shorter duration and less lift is more for speed. Or at least thats what I have always been told.

Quick Reply: cam/ lumpy idle 318