1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What Did You Do To Your RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:49 PM
rwb
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally fixed my hood latch today. No more chain holding down my hood. Both bolts sheared off the latch on the hood and I had to drill them out and I broke off a drill bit inside one bolt. Several hours later I was able to retap both holes and my hood is now locked down. For once I rule, but it won't last. I also ordered a new wiper switch since my intermittant wipers don't work any more.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Rudebaker
Rookie

This morning I replaced both tail/brake light sockets and replaced my heater controls and blower switch. The control mounting plate was broken in about 10 pieces and the switch only worked occasionally. My guess is that someone got frustrated with the switch and gave it a good smack which shattered the mounting plate.

This afternoon I am replacing my turn signal switch, it won't cancel on a LH turn. While the wheel is off I'm swapping on the wheel from the '81 Ramcharger I got some of my parts from.

Originally Posted by rwb
I also ordered a new wiper switch since my intermittant wipers don't work any more.
Is it your switch or the wiper delay relay that piggybacks the wiper motor?
If the relay goes bad your normal wiper speeds will still work just not the intermittent function. I'm told the relay is NLA, next one I find in the junkyard I'm snagging for my spares box. The W250 I've been getting parts from didn't have intermittents and the wiper motor was already gone on the Ramcharger.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:09 PM
rwb
Rookie

I used the factory manual and it said the switch. I replaced the relay already so the only thing left was the switch.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Rudebaker
Rookie

Originally Posted by rwb
I used the factory manual and it said the switch. I replaced the relay already so the only thing left was the switch.
Well, I'd say you're sure then.

FYI, '81 turn signal switch harness plug is different than an '86.....
Glad I checked before I tore the '86 apart.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:59 PM
tooltime
Veteran

I fixed the lic plate lights today (11-16). I did not think that the bumper is used for the ground. But 1 light still did not work so i looked around for a new socket and could not find one. I walked by a old tail light i have and i cut the wire from it. It has a spring and i have to use it and get rid of that rubber part inside of the socket. Now i have to caulk the part where the wire goes into the socket to keep out water etc.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Rudebaker
Rookie

Today I installed a vacuum gauge, a new license plate bracket with built in light and a new alternator.

Pulled a couple plugs to see how they looked, like new but I have all new plugs, wires, etc. to install soon. I also pulled the Holley 6619-1 600cfm I've had soaking out of the cleaner and assembled it as a replacement for the grungy 1850-3 that's on it. The 1850 must not be real bad though because it idles at 21 InHg of vacuum and at 55 on level ground with no wind cruises at 17 InHg. That's not too shabby, but even though the plugs were clean the tailpipes are very sooty and the exhaust smells rich so something is off. I put the new carb back together with 4 sizes smaller jets but with a 2 stage power valve to compensate under light loads, we'll see how that works.

Need to verify the timing again but my timing light bit the dust after only 36 years so I bought a new one with built in tach and advance off eBay. Should be here soon.

Plans for tomorrow are to swap the carbs and then put a new cancelling cam in my turn signal switch. I was going to swap steering wheels too but it turns out the steering wheel I pulled out of the '81 Ramcharger wasn't the original. The PO of the Ramcharger I got my parts from must have swapped columns. Someone told me it came out of a Lil' Red Express so for now it's going on the wall until I determine if it's rare or not. The turn signal arm is different too, it's longer and has a deeper bend to follow the steering wheel.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 PM
dreamer1uk
Amateur

Hey,

I just did a basic oil and filter change on my newly aquired 89 D150. I have all the tune up parts ready to install that ill probably do this weekend.

Im surprised how well the truck runs after 240k miles She needs ALOT of work still.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Rudebaker
Rookie

Got the carb changed, ended up having to go to #62 primary jets, 60's were too lean. It runs pretty darn good now. It actually squeaked a tire pulling out of the gas station and it has 500 Lbs. of sand bags in the back. Before it couldn't break a tire loose on wet pavement. Won't know what it did for gas mileage for awhile. Probably not much on this tank, I can't keep my foot out of it LOL. The old carb had 66's in the primary side and it was full of crud, there was nothing in the brass inlet screen though so I'm not sure where all the crud came from because it was too big to pass through the screen.

Went ahead and put the other steering wheel in when I fixed the turn signal switch. It made a noticable change in driving position and I like the different positioning.

Still have a few things to do and it still looks like a refugee from the boneyard but it sure doesn't run like one now.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 PM
rwb
Rookie

Have you changed your fuel filter yet? That could be bad and letting crap into your carb. As for your seating position just don't be detroit leaning.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Rudebaker
Rookie

Originally Posted by rwb
Have you changed your fuel filter yet? That could be bad and letting crap into your carb. As for your seating position just don't be detroit leaning.
Yes, we put a fuel filter on it awhile back, this had to be from whoever had it before my kid got it back in '07. It almost looks like lime deposits and they're pretty good size chunks. Saw this once before on a Triumph Bonneville I bought, it was so bad the carb bodies were pitted. Might have come from water in the gas at some point, we have REALLY hard water around here. It's full of all kinds of minerals, too bad none of 'em are valuable. Probbaly wouldn't hurt to change it out again though.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your RAM Today?