1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

77 d150

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:20 AM
dieselmech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77 d150

I am a big rig diesel mech. bought a 1977 d150 for step daughter,truck ran ok at idle but driving at accelration it spits and sputters. it has a frame mounted electric fuel pump..took timing cover off found ecentric just hanging and cam gear bolt stripped out.repaired bolt and cam threads.installed new chain and gears marks lines up could not get #1( left side ft.hole from drivers seat position,correct?) to come up and have timing marks on gears line up just went w/it. started and ran fine at idle and high revs. in park only,still spits and sputters while driving. will a electric fuel pump at4-7psi 35 gpm be ok for a stand alone pump.also replaced ignition coil as it was original. when i pull #1 plug left side from drivers view rotor bug is not pointin #1.someone has bolted aone barrel carb on it

Old 11-29-2009, 12:27 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuming we are talking about a 318. A 1 barrel is not going to give you enough fuel for any kind of performance if it is small enough to idle well. You should be OK on the fuel pump. You are correct on #1 cylinder location. For the timing mark on the crank gear to be at the proper 12 O-clock position in correlation with the cam gear being at 6 O-clock position for timing chain install #1 cylinder has to be at TDC. IT can't physically be anywhere else unless the crank gear key is sheared off. As far as where the timing goes, when every thing is lined up as stated above the rotor must be pointing at #1 wire or the distributer will have to be turned so that this is the case even if you have to pull the distributer to make it so. That will put you in the ball park for timing and then just use a timing light. Bottom line though is a 1 barrel will not work.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:56 PM
dieselmech

It is a 318. #1 Cylinder is at TDC. The timing marks are lined up, but the distributor bug is pointing almost straight forward. I can not get it to point to #1. Any suggestions?

Last edited by dieselmech; 11-29-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:11 PM
SEAL
Champion

You are going to have to pull the distributer and rotate the distributer shaft so that it points at #1. You may have to play with it a little as it will rotate slightly as you reinsert the distributer because of the way the gears are made. It may take a couple of tries to get it where you want it.

Last edited by SEAL; 11-29-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:31 PM
dieselmech

I guess I don't follow...when I rotate the shaft, I wind up 180 degrees pointing straight back.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:10 PM
SEAL
Champion

Just turn the shaft far enough so the rotor points at #1 wire. Like I said you may have to play with it a little because of the oil pump drive shaft that goes into the bottom of the distributer shaft. There are about 16 teeth on the distributer shaft that engage the cam gear and you may only have to turn the shaft a couple of teeth.

Last edited by SEAL; 11-29-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:20 PM
dieselmech

The shaft does not have any teeth, it is straight. There is a slot in the gear where the shaft goes in and it will only go in 2 ways.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:57 PM
SEAL
Champion

Sorry wrong engine. The distributor gear on your engine stays in the block. Look down thru the hole that the distributer comes out of you will see a gear with a slot that the distributer slot mates with. This gear should have about 20 teeth. This gear needs to be turned so that the slot when viewed from the front of the engine is at about the five o-clock to 11 0-clock position. The slot should point to the front intake manifold bolt on the drivers side. This may be hard to accomplish with the intake manifold on. An alternative is to rotate the wires on the cap so that #1 wire is where the rotor is now pointing and just reinsert the wires in the correct firing order from there. This is not the best but it will work for now. Again sorry about the mix up but I work on different engines and sometimes I mix them up if they are not right in front of me.

Last edited by SEAL; 11-29-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 77 d150