1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1989 Dodge Ram 1500 - Won't Start!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 PM
amk4013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1989 Dodge Ram 1500 - Won't Start!!

I have an 89 Dodge Ram 1500. I cannot get it to start. I've been told to check/replace the ICM however, I cannot find where this is located. Can anyone please help me - I need to get my truck running!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

1st of all,...Welcome to "DODGEFORUM". Now take a deep breath,..relax and lets see if we can't get your truck some help. There are many variables to why a truck won't start,...who told you to check/replace....ICM? 1) got gas? 2) baterry is charged,..your battery connections are tight...and the other ends as well..red to starter motor,...black to engine (ground). 3) Your getting spark? (if not..pull plug, put back in boot,..rest "spark" portion of plug against metal..have someone turn over engine, while you check plug for spark color...mostly blue with little orange is good,...all orange or red...is bad. "Change your coil". **if these don't do it, (the basics),..then we need to check your computer. If you get power,...but doesn't turn over....turn key toward on position...BUT "DON'T" turn it over...cycle key on position,..off position,..3-times,..leaving it in the on position the third time. Now,..count your "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light "FLASHES"...it should go...5-flashes.."pause"...5-flashes,..this means your getting ready to check your "trouble" codes. the next "flashes...are the "trouble codes" in 2-digit codes. 1st digit will be shown in amount of flashes e.g: *** ** this is "flash flash flash pause flash flash, this means 3 2 ...so you have troublecode #32. After each troublecode number, "pair", there will be a "longer pause ...to break up the sequence of paired numbers,...after the 1st "longer pause,..the next "flashes begin. Keep writing down the trouble codes until you recieve code "55" again...this means the "test" has completed its "cycle". *if you missed any numbers...or are unsure you got them correctly,...turn ignition off, wait a minute...and repeat the whole process again. After getting all troublecodes,...check for thier meanings in your "Haynes" or "Chilton" manual,..and go from there. *if you have a code reader,...plug it in under your dash, (check manual for port location), usually by steering column area under dash...and follow your decoder instruction manual. Well,..good luck and I hope you enjoyed/benefited from "Backyard Mechanix 101".

Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First give more info. Does it turn over, does it just click, does it just sit there when you turn the key? Second don't bother looking for a code reader port as we don't have them.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAL
Second don't bother looking for a code reader port as we don't have them.
it should have a code reader port but it is under the hood by the relays. an obd1 compatable scantool cost more a fair bit of money. i know because i bought one. it was about $250.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 12-16-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:01 PM
bstover69

i have a little more information on this truck. it turns over fine, doesnt appear to be getting spark. ran a hot wire from coil to battery and still didnt start. has gas. any help?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

can you hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key to the run position. how was the truck running before? good rough

Old 12-16-2009, 10:08 PM
bstover69

i think it is kicking on. the truck was running smoothe. it would start sometimes but it got fewer and further in between starts. once it started it was ok. when it would start i would let it sit until i would hear some clicking in the engine area, then i would turn it over again and it would start.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

when was the last time it had a tune-up? have you check the sparkplug, cap and rotor? i cant think of anything clicking under the hood if you let it sit.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran
Question

Originally Posted by SEAL
..... don't bother looking for a code reader port as we don't have them.
Sorry,..misread..I thought you had a 1998.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:25 PM
AeSix
Professional

93 and older is a D150
sorry, just an irk

Quick Reply: 1989 Dodge Ram 1500 - Won't Start!!