1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Paint Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hood ornament is getting (fake) chromed. I just painted it because it is currently puttied into place. There was a dent under it, and the front mount is broken. I didn't tape it off because the previous chrome was peeling everywhere, so I figured primer and paint would give it a good base to adhere to.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 PM
renegade6184
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drill it out and oder one from JC Whitney. You can get metal.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

I didn't know JC Whitney stocked them. I will if this doesn't last. But as for now, I'll stick to the el cheapo option.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
DevilDogge
Professional

So, did you buff it out yet? I'm interested to see how well it worked. Did you paint behind the cab in between the bed and the cab? Where'd you paint it at (i.e. garage, outside, carport, etc...)?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:48 PM
TheMikeEustis
Rookie

Looks great , did you clear coat over it too ? I know Krylon makes a rattle can clear coat , it seems to work pretty well but it doesn't really give it the gloss effect .

Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Well. I just painted it outside a barn, in the open air. Lol. I sprayed into the crack between the cab and bed, but I know it has to be runny, and can't have full coverage in there. I did not clear coat it, and I don't think I'm going to. I have a tiny bit of orange peel over some of the putty, and the finish is . . . satin. I'm just going to keep waxing the crap out of it. Yes, I did buff it, and it seems like it made it look more even. All said and done, for not sanding much during painting, it looks ok. Just . . . satin. lol

Old 07-28-2010, 01:05 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Here is an update in the form of a video. Everything past the muddy tire was taken today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfCESmmw6Ms

Old 07-28-2010, 07:13 PM
DevilDogge
Professional

Cool, man.... I REALLY think you should put some clear on it, as that's what protects it the most for everything.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

I probably should have. But I'm unsure about it now. I'd be clearing over orange peel, a few scratches (still a work truck), wax, and I'm not sure if this paint really oxidizes much. This paint may very well outlast the truck without a clear. Its not meant to have a clear on it at all, as its not even meant for cars.

The main reason I decided not to clear was this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254020
Even without a clear, mine took a week or so to really get stiff. And I had to have something to drive, so I couldn't have let it sit for a that long. I could clear now, but the amount of work involved now would be way more than doing it right after the color coat.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:48 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Round TWO!!! My body work held up mostly ok, but the paint didn't, and was always pretty matte. I just rolled on the first coat an hour ago. Yes, its rustoleum with a roller. Its going to be bed-liner below the belt line.

Quick Reply: Paint Suggestions