1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is up with my brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:28 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is up with my brakes?

I hopped in my truck the other day an found that my (!) Brake light, and my ABS light come on when I press hard on the brake pedal. Sometimes it goes out right away, and sometimes it stays on until i gently touch the pedal. My ABS does not seem to be working . . . but I don't know if it did before. I'm pretty sure it didn't. The brakes do work fine. I checked my brake fluid a few weeks ago, and it was fine. The pads were very good as of october as well. There is nothing leaking from the truck.

If its any help, its been about 0-30 degrees F the past week.

Thanks guys.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what ABS feels like when it is working and I have never felt it in my truck even when I intentionally locked the brakes on ice. I don't believe this system was very good from the get go. You can try to fix the RWAL system but you will need deep pockets, or you can disconnect the electronics module that is located on the lower right side cowl panel by the passengers feet.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

I lent out my Haynes manual, so I'm not exactly sure where the module is as you described it. Is it inside, tucked in the dash by the passenger's feet? Or outside on the firewall? Or do I have to take the cowl apart?

Thanks SEAL.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:36 PM
acfortier
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure it is right behind the glove compartment. Just take that thing out and you should see it there.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:36 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

on my 91 my rwal brake module was behind the glove box

Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 PM
SEAL
Champion

If you have A/C, tilt out the glove box all the way so you can see behind it and the RWAL controller is right behind it on the fire wall just above the heater box. Without A/C pull the glove box and look to the right on the cab wall.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Thanks guys. I'll yank it tomorrow and report back with a result.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:37 AM
pickfiddle
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would removing the module have any effect on the actual valve on the frame rail near the drivers side rear wheel?

Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 AM
SEAL
Champion

I have had my module disconnected for years, because it quit, with no effect on my brakes.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:38 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Hmmmmmmm. I checked my brake fluid before I disconnected the RWAL. And I didn't put the lid on the whole way when I was done. I thought my master cylinder was bad until i stopped and saw that fluid was all over the side of the reservoir. When I put more fluid in it, and put the lid back on more tightly, my pedal felt more solid again, and holds now, but I think I introduced an air bubble or seven into the lines. The brakes are just squishy and need some pumping now. The brake light only comes on if I ride them and do not pump at all. The pedal does hold firm once i build the initial pressure. It doesn't creep at stop signs or anything like that.

So I guess I'm going to bleed the brakes tomorrow.

But on the bright side, the brake light doesn't come on nearly as much, and the ABS light doesn't come on at all.

Quick Reply: What is up with my brakes?