1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust backfiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:56 AM
psycobilly64
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We should have the carb back on tomorrow with a new filter. It should have been done the first day, but it's like pulling teeth to get a 17 year old kid to work his truck!
Once the fuel issue is fixed, we're getting the exhaust done with NASCAR style side pipes in front of the rear tires.

With the 3" drop, flat black paint, shaved emblems and baby moons on steelies, it'll be one bada** ride when it's done. I'll try to get a few pics up in my garage soon.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:04 AM
psycobilly64
Professional

One more thing; What windshield wiper transmission can I use in this truck? When I got it, the bars were just laying in the cowl. I replaced the plastic grommets and the wiper motor, but the rotating arm on the motor is too long. Can I just change the arm on the motor or do I need the whole transmission? And is there any way to to put the cowl plate back on without pulling the windshield seal?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is it doing that makes you think the arm on the motor is too long? If you used the proper motor this should not be a problem. If you remove the wiper blade arms and turn the wiper motor on and off at the switch the wiper system will park itself. After that reinstall the wiper blade arms in their parked position. I am not positive on this but I seem to remember when I replaced my grommets that if they are not put back correctly binding may result.

I use a hooked scribe to pull the bottom of the gasket up on top of the cowl during installation of the cowl.

Last edited by SEAL; 03-21-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM
psycobilly64
Professional

Originally Posted by SEAL
What is it doing that makes you think the arm on the motor is too long? If you used the proper motor this should not be a problem. If you remove the wiper blade arms and turn the wiper motor on and off at the switch the wiper system will park itself. After that reinstall the wiper blade arms in their parked position. I am not positive on this but I seem to remember when I replaced my grommets that if they are not put back correctly binding may result.

I use a hooked scribe to pull the bottom of the gasket up on top of the cowl during installation of the cowl.
The motor is a new one for a 79 so it should be the right one. With the motor stopped, the arms are about 1.5 inches too short to reach the motor arm. I did start and stop the motor to see if they worked, so it is parked. The transmission wasn't hooked up when I bought the truck, so I'm wondering if someone put the wrong linkage in it when the grommets got bad.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think you need the correct motor. on rock auto the part # for the motor on a 79 and 86 are different so they are most likely not even close to the same.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 PM
psycobilly64
Professional

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i think you need the correct motor. on rock auto the part # for the motor on a 79 and 86 are different so they are most likely not even close to the same.
This is for my brother's 79 D100 so we should have the right motor. My truck is the 86 short box with the charging issue. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused you.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

ah. ok. do you think some one might have taken the wiper arm off and put them back on in the wrong spot. can you move the wipers to get the linkage to hook up to the transmission?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 PM
psycobilly64
Professional

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
ah. ok. do you think some one might have taken the wiper arm off and put them back on in the wrong spot. can you move the wipers to get the linkage to hook up to the transmission?
I put the linkage together myself. It was just laying in the cowl when I got the truck but it was still in one piece. I just put it back the way it was and now the arm that attaches to the motor won't reach at all.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you replaced the motor because it didn't work. Is the arm on the new motor the same as the one you replaced? If you can post some pictures someone might be able to see something that is wrong because most of us have done this job ourselves.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:11 PM
psycobilly64
Professional

Originally Posted by SEAL
I assume you replaced the motor because it didn't work. Is the arm on the new motor the same as the one you replaced? If you can post some pictures someone might be able to see something that is wrong because most of us have done this job ourselves.
The arm is the same one off the old motor, the new motor didn't come with an arm.

Quick Reply: Exhaust backfiring problem