1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a few dumb problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 PM
fast_five_oh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few dumb problems

so i got my truck going...it has some small annoying probs..

sometimes, u come to a stop or put it in hear it dies,

carb whistles

trans dont like to up shift sometimes

Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

do you have an air filter on it. if not that could be causing the carb whistling. have you checked the transmission fluid level while it is in neutral? sounds like your timing could be a tiny bit off. does it seem to get better as it warms up?

you should really fill out your info or sig so that i don't have to dig to find out that you have a 86 d100 with a 318.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 AM
fast_five_oh
Professional

yea its got a air filter on it, just running a stock 2 barrel...it does get better when warm as well...ill hafta fix my timing light an check it out

Old 04-06-2011, 06:05 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure your throttle cable and kickdown linkage are adjusted too.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 PM
fast_five_oh
Professional

how to you go about adjusting the kick down linkage on these old dodges

also the timing was messed up, distrib is almost no good so im putting a new one in for a mere 50 bucks lol

maybe then half a tank will last more then 100 miles?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:40 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the throttle rod (kick down linkage) adjustment first before I make any adjustment. Grab the rod near the carburetor and push it rearward then slowly release it. If it is properly adjusted and lubricated it will return to its full forward position on its own. The full forward position is when the rear of the slot in the carburetor link is up against the carburetor stud that it slides on. All moving parts must be well lubricated before adjustment. Make sure the truck is warm and it is off the high idle cam.

wontacceptthis: Just curious. How do you adjust a throttle cable?

Last edited by SEAL; 04-07-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Well. Your throttle cable most likely has stretched over the years. If you put a cinder block on the gas pedal and look at the throttle, it probably won't be the whole way open.

If you pull up on your gas pedal, you will notice it goes up a bit as the throttle cable pulls through it. So pull up the pedal and pull the cable towards you, taking out the slack. Then you either put a new ferrule on the end of the cable so it is the right length again, or you put washers or zip ties or something else between the pedal and the ferrule. This way your pedal will sit up a little bit higher. This time, when you put the cinder block on your gas pedal, the throttle will be open the whole way.

Since the throttle cable and kickdown linkage are tied together, I'm imagining only being able to run at half throttle would prevent your truck from downshifting.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand and agree the cables stretch. I used washers to do mine. Just wanted to know how you did it.

I also prefer the term throttle rod instead of kick down linkage because that system controls both where any down shifting occurs and where the upshift happens much the same as a vacuum modulator.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Oh ok. You want to know how specifically I approached it. I used zip ties. I just pulled them tight and cut the ends off. Works well.

So what exactly does the throttle rod do at the transmission end? Does it control a valve of some sort?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:25 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the truck is carbureted. your should be able to adjust for the cable stretching under the hood. should just have to loosen the clamp that holds the cable and pull it back then tighten the clamp again.

Quick Reply: a few dumb problems