1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flat black

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011 | 01:21 AM
bcnewfie
|
Default Flat black

just bought myself a 91 ram 150 and am thinking of doing a flat black paint job and was wondering if anyone has done a similar paint job on this body style?

Old 04-16-2011 | 04:04 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

if it is a short box it could look good when your done but if it is a long box it would kind of look funny in flat black.

Old 04-16-2011 | 03:01 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Are you looking for advice? or do you just want to see a flat black 1st gen?

Old 04-16-2011 | 03:33 PM
RamKing
Professional

my old truck was black and grey look at my sig

Old 04-16-2011 | 07:42 PM
stakebody187

Do it can't go wrong with flat black

Old 04-16-2011 | 11:28 PM
bcnewfie
|

Well advice or suggestions really. i haven't actually painted a vehicle before so any tips there would be appreciated. I have an idea of the paint I want to use and that's John Deere Blitz Black. I chose it because its supposed to super durable and a good looking colour. also I work at a John Deere dealer so I have steady and cheap supply, 30 bucks for a gallon. I also have the idea of taping off a thin strip down the side where that bevel on the body is, and the dodge on the tail gate, and then spraying it a gloss black or charcoal colour that Deere also sells. after that just polish up everything else nice and shiny. sound good?

Old 04-20-2011 | 05:48 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Sand the living daylights out of it before you primer, and use the best automotive (or tractor) primer you can buy. Make sure you start painting at the top, and work your way down, and go beyond every edge. Make sure everything is super clean. Sand and clean again after primer, especially if you plan on doing it without a booth. I used tractor/equipment paint, and it came out ok. Definitely satin, not gloss. It has gotten a few chips in it, but only because of my mediocre body work and sanding. At least you will have extra paint that you can use to touch it up if yours starts to do the same.

If I had to do it again, I'd take my time more on the body work, use slightly better paint, and sand more after priming. My total cost was about $150 if I remember, and the time spent on prep and paint alone was around 12-16 hours, working on and off, but mostly on. I'd say it was well worth it for the experience, and having the purplest 89 dodge in town.

Old 05-11-2011 | 08:02 AM
serge627
Amateur

I flat blacked my 89 D250 last summer. II think it turned out great and is holding up great as well. I had to do somthing with the paint, since it had the typical peeling nasty look too it. As soon as I can figure out how to post some pics up I will.

Old 05-13-2011 | 01:33 AM
psycobilly64
Professional

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
if it is a short box it could look good when your done but if it is a long box it would kind of look funny in flat black.
We did my brother's 79 longbed flat black and it looks MEAN! Although it has been lowered with west coast mirrors on it so that just makes it look even longer...
I say go for it. Just remember to let any bondo cure a couple days before sprayin it or you'll be redoing spots like us!
I'll try to get some pics of it on here soon.

Old 05-13-2011 | 09:40 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by psycobilly64
I say go for it. Just remember to let any bondo cure a couple days before sprayin it or you'll be redoing spots like us!
I'll try to get some pics of it on here soon.
you don't have to let it cure for a couple of days if you mix the bondo right. it only took about 5 hours per side on my short box to clean, bondo, sand, prime and clear coat but them again my dad has been doing body work for years.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 05-13-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Flat black