1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

some advice on mods/tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As for the exhuast, a single into dual setup is fine. I ran that setup with a flowtech muffler for a few months. It sounded fine, but it wasn't that loud. I'm running a single glasspack now, which sounds a little harsher and louder than the flowtech, but its not really all that loud either. I still crave more. Neither one is better or worse, just different. Running a single into dual setup won't sound like duals, but it won't sound exactly like a single either.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your exhaust is single in and dual out? You mentioned that you need new exhaust but you didn't say why. Is anything salvageable? Your setup is cool and dual out is more for looks, which is okay. Sounds like someone spent some money on this exhaust and may have spent on a good muffler as well. Is it blown out or rusted? If the dual out is salvageable, I would save it and replace the cat and muffler IF you need to. New turbo style mufflers are the way to go IMO and especially if you go with a welded design instead of the old seams which eventually come apart or rust. This is where shopping around and taking the time to read others' reviews would help make your final decision. A lot of straight through designs will drone on the freeway or certain rpm's. I'd consider these race only and not for a daily driver. Once you find a muffler you are considering you can go on YouTube and hear it. Here's some sample reviews.

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...FQHsKgodVnS6MA

BTW on the subject of skinnier tires, your size 35 x 12.5 tires, the second number (12.5) is the tread width. You could go with 10.5 or 11.5 to get skinnier tires. The first number (35) is how "tall" the tire or tread is. Both can affect your tires rubbing.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Comrade General
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1&2 I meant dual steering stabilizer.

Ill probably go with the single into dual then. And I dont think anything is salvageable. The dual out the back and mix matched pipes and it looks terrible from behind.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM
1&2genrams
Professional

Its a matter of preference really, if you want to save money go with the single, I have 35" tires and the tire shop said they could not balance them, and with my single stabilizer I don't feel anything in the steering wheel at highway speeds and it dampens it enough bouncing around in deep ruts.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Comrade General
Captain

They couldnt balance 35s? What did you do?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 AM
1&2genrams
Professional

I don't know if it was just that tire shop, but I have heard that it is pretty hard to balance mud tires of that size, (they are BFG mud terrain KMs, 35 x 12.5 on a 16.5 rim) so they are completely unbalanced.....and honestly when I picked my truck up and they told me that I thought my truck was going to shake apart, but I can't even tell, I don't feel any shimmy in the steering wheel, and that was 3 years ago.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Black Betty 88
Rookie

Originally Posted by wontacceptthis
I have a 28 inch on my truck, and its actually pretty quiet at idle, and only gets loud when you get on it. I don't think its obnoxiously loud, and there is no highway drone. At least the drone isn't louder than all the whistling, groaning, and clanking my truck makes.

I just installed it and drove for about 6 months, then i sprayed water all over it and in it after a 30 min drive, and drove some more to get the water and packing out. That made it a little louder, but nothing crazy.
does that work for turbo syle mufflers too?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Betty 88
does that work for turbo syle mufflers too?
Nope. Only for ones that use fiberglass packing (glasspacks) as insulation.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Originally Posted by 1&2genrams
I don't know if it was just that tire shop, but I have heard that it is pretty hard to balance mud tires of that size, (they are BFG mud terrain KMs, 35 x 12.5 on a 16.5 rim) so they are completely unbalanced.....and honestly when I picked my truck up and they told me that I thought my truck was going to shake apart, but I can't even tell, I don't feel any shimmy in the steering wheel, and that was 3 years ago.

hmm that could be a problem. Id hate to buy tires and not be able to balance them.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Alright so tomorrow I plan on installing new spark plugs, Warn Hubs, and possibly a fuel filter and a couple hoses and changing the anti freeze?

Any tips on changing the Hubs? I have no idea.
Or spark plugs? I figure they should be simple enough.

Anything else thats I should change out?

Quick Reply: some advice on mods/tires