1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY/ External voltage regulator conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:35 AM
psycobilly64
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also this needs to be moved back to the 2nd tech section please. This doesn't really apply to the 1st gen rams as they already have an external reg.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:22 PM
zsalvail

Would this conversion work on a 1987 Daytona Shelby Z?

Old 07-31-2015, 11:36 PM
tankdriver23
Default help me Plz I'm abt to put a bullet in this thing

So I have an 00 durango I did this setup today the only thing that was different was the back of the alternator I have a clip on mine so o did it the way you said now my volts are going to 14.7 ish when it's turned on the lights are pulsing and it just seems to generally be overcharging ant ideas? Do I need a different regulator?

Old 08-18-2015, 06:37 PM
tankdriver23
Wink

Originally Posted by tankdriver23
So I have an 00 durango I did this setup today the only thing that was different was the back of the alternator I have a clip on mine so o did it the way you said now my volts are going to 14.7 ish when it's turned on the lights are pulsing and it just seems to generally be overcharging ant ideas? Do I need a different regulator?
Ok for anyone having my issue the fix is getting a relay 10amp or above and wiring it to run the relay with that just a standard 5 post relay works don't listen to the guys at the parts store who tell you it won't work or they never heard of it because it does my girls truck has been running weeks with it like that just remember to either weatherproof the relay or stick it somewhere it's not going to get wet have fun and good luck

Old 12-31-2015, 11:56 AM
befitz

Originally Posted by madore33
try hooking up a pigtail with a 194 bulb in it to the old set of field wires and see if this helps..the 194 bulb should light when hooked to the pigtail and give the computer the voltage..
Yes!! This worked for me, and saved me from buying the $20 yellow resistor. It really pays to read and consider every post. Thanks Madore33

Old 06-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Thedge
Default Voltage gauge

I installed this bypass on my 2001 ram 1500 with the 5.9 gas engine. The bypass worked and is charging the battery and I’m getting 14.5 volts. The only issues I’m having is the voltage gauge pegs out sometimes at 18 volts but the battery is still at a normal 14-14.5 volts. The gauge doesn’t max out all the time. Sometimes it pegs out and then after a few minutes it will return to the normal reading. Sometimes it will peg out and stay pegged out for the entire ride. Has anyone had this issue or know of anyway to fix it?

Old 07-06-2018, 09:31 PM
E4ODnut

2001 5.9 2500 4x4. Same problem. When it first happened I got a "check gauges" alarm, the voltmeter was pinned. When the PCM detects a high voltage condition it sets the alarm and pins the voltmeter. I assumed it was legitimate and installed an external regulator. Same problem. This time I checked the voltage with the external regulator. Normal. So, I'm assuming that there is something wrong with the voltage sensing circuit in the PCM. It's a PITA having the alarm go off periodically, but there is nothing wrong with the voltage, so I just drive it. It seems to be worse in hot weather, but not consistently.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by E4ODnut
2001 5.9 2500 4x4. Same problem. When it first happened I got a "check gauges" alarm, the voltmeter was pinned. When the PCM detects a high voltage condition it sets the alarm and pins the voltmeter. I assumed it was legitimate and installed an external regulator. Same problem. This time I checked the voltage with the external regulator. Normal. So, I'm assuming that there is something wrong with the voltage sensing circuit in the PCM. It's a PITA having the alarm go off periodically, but there is nothing wrong with the voltage, so I just drive it. It seems to be worse in hot weather, but not consistently.
You want to be in the 2nd gen ram section.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Guy Nelson
Default Diy conversion

Hi so my son did the conversion on my 89 ram 250 5.2 liter van.started and tested good. Drove 50 miles to work with check engine light on. Drive home with check engine light off.checked battery it has a low voltage checked regulator and its not working. Any thoughts... Thanks

Old 08-24-2019, 08:57 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Nelson
Hi so my son did the conversion on my 89 ram 250 5.2 liter van.started and tested good. Drove 50 miles to work with check engine light on. Drive home with check engine light off.checked battery it has a low voltage checked regulator and its not working. Any thoughts... Thanks
are you sure he did the conversion right? also it is pretty common for a aftermarket voltage regulator to fail. just make sure the voltage regulator has a good ground to start since it may be overlooked.

Quick Reply: DIY/ External voltage regulator conversion