1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY/ External voltage regulator conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 03:32 PM
Federico Caprotta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psycobilly64
Ok, this is a write up on how to do an external voltage regulator conversion on any and all Chryslers with the reg in the ECM and an unregulated alternator. Till now, if you have charging issues with these trucks you had to replace a $3-500 computer. I did this conversion for $43.28 after sales tax. This can also apply to other trucks if you'd like add a second alt, or the wiring is fried.

Here is a list of parts that will be needed with prices as of 8/3/2011.
Regulator part #
MPI 2VR1 price $13.99
Regulator plug/pigtail part #
BWD PT173 price $8.49
1 coil of 14ga wire $5.99
1 pack of butt connectors $5.99
1 pack of ring terminals $5.99

Attachment 62720

These are the prices and part #s at my local O'Reilly.
Also a couple of self tapping screws.

The first thing you need to do is remove the little plastic box on the back of the alt.
Attachment 62721
Attachment 62722

Tape it up so it won't short out and tuck it out of the way (you will not be using it).
Attachment 62723

Find a good solid place on the firewall or inner fender to mount the regulator. If you don't have a place with a good ground, you can run a ground wire off one of the mounting screws. I mounted mine behind the battery on the metal fenderwell so no need for a ground wire on mine.
Mount the reg using the self tapping screws making sure you have enough room for the plug to stick out from it.

Attachment 62724

Cut two lengths of wire long enough to reach from the alt to the regulator. Crimp a ring connector large enough to fit the bolts the plastic block (removed in step 1) was attached to on to each one. Put them on and tighten the nuts down.
Attachment 62725

Once the wires are connected to the alt, cut a wire long enough to reach from the reg to an ignition pos of your choice. Take one of the wires from the alt (doesn't matter which) and the wire from the ignition pos and crimp them into one end of a butt connector.
Attachment 62726

Take the doubled wire (batt and alt) with the butt conn already attached and connect it to the TOP terminal on the pigtail. Take the other wire from the alt and attach it to the other terminal of the pigtail using a butt connector. Plug the pigtail into the reg, route the wires out of the way and reinstall the battery.
Attachment 62727
Attachment 62728

Start your truck and make sure it's charging properly. If so then you're done!

Take the money you saved from not buying a new comp, buy a six-pack and another upgrade for your truck!!
Attachment 62729

DOWNSIDE TO THIS MOD__ The only downside is that after doing this, your check engine light will stay on since it has no signal from the alt. There is no way I know of to prevent this, but someone here might have an idea. If that is an issue to you, then this conversion may not be for you!
The best write up I've seeing ever!! Thank you...I thought I was having the high voltage but when I measure the voltage at the battery it is showing 14.8 or so..it has been creeking up a bit and the gauge inside stays at 8-10 for a few seconds then bumps up to the 14 range..WHAT is the correct voltage the alternator should be putting to the battery?
I've been told the slow is due to the regulator GOING OUT...is that the case in your opinion?

Ive got ll the wires made per your excellent pics and ready to go BUT if it is ok charging at 14.84 then will wait to see

Thanks again for the writeup and looking forward to the answer

Old 12-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Federico Caprotta

Originally Posted by psycobilly64
Ok, this is a write up on how to do an external voltage regulator conversion on any and all Chryslers with the reg in the ECM and an unregulated alternator. Till now, if you have charging issues with these trucks you had to replace a $3-500 computer. I did this conversion for $43.28 after sales tax. This can also apply to other trucks if you'd like add a second alt, or the wiring is fried.

Here is a list of parts that will be needed with prices as of 8/3/2011.
Regulator part #
MPI 2VR1 price $13.99
Regulator plug/pigtail part #
BWD PT173 price $8.49
1 coil of 14ga wire $5.99
1 pack of butt connectors $5.99
1 pack of ring terminals $5.99

Attachment 62720

These are the prices and part #s at my local O'Reilly.
Also a couple of self tapping screws.

The first thing you need to do is remove the little plastic box on the back of the alt.
Attachment 62721
Attachment 62722
MY QUESTION IS REGARDING THIS PIC WITH THE 4 EYELETS THE 2 IN THE SQUARE ONES ARE TAPED AND NOT USED...DO I NEED TO GET RID OF THE OTHER 2 WIRES ON THE END OR DO I RECONNECT THEM TO THE ALTERNATOR...

I did the repair but did not connect the 2 large wires and it started smoking and I changed them back to the regular black box and it is still smoking... I may be needing a new alternator now either way BUT want to make sure if they still attach or NOT and what to do with them..you have the 2 middle wires with the square tabs taped but not the other 2 with the big wires
Tape it up so it won't short out and tuck it out of the way (you will not be using it).
Attachment 62723

Find a good solid place on the firewall or inner fender to mount the regulator. If you don't have a place with a good ground, you can run a ground wire off one of the mounting screws. I mounted mine behind the battery on the metal fenderwell so no need for a ground wire on mine.
Mount the reg using the self tapping screws making sure you have enough room for the plug to stick out from it.

Attachment 62724

Cut two lengths of wire long enough to reach from the alt to the regulator. Crimp a ring connector large enough to fit the bolts the plastic block (removed in step 1) was attached to on to each one. Put them on and tighten the nuts down.
Attachment 62725

Once the wires are connected to the alt, cut a wire long enough to reach from the reg to an ignition pos of your choice. Take one of the wires from the alt (doesn't matter which) and the wire from the ignition pos and crimp them into one end of a butt connector.
Attachment 62726

Take the doubled wire (batt and alt) with the butt conn already attached and connect it to the TOP terminal on the pigtail. Take the other wire from the alt and attach it to the other terminal of the pigtail using a butt connector. Plug the pigtail into the reg, route the wires out of the way and reinstall the battery.
Attachment 62727
Attachment 62728

Start your truck and make sure it's charging properly. If so then you're done!

Take the money you saved from not buying a new comp, buy a six-pack and another upgrade for your truck!!
Attachment 62729

DOWNSIDE TO THIS MOD__ The only downside is that after doing this, your check engine light will stay on since it has no signal from the alt. There is no way I know of to prevent this, but someone here might have an idea. If that is an issue to you, then this conversion may not be for you!
MY QUESTION IS REGARDING THe PIC WITH THE 4 EYELETS THE 2 IN THE SQUARE ONES ARE TAPED AND NOT USED...DO I NEED TO GET RID OF THE OTHER 2 WIRES ON THE END OR DO I RECONNECT THEM TO THE ALTERNATOR...

I did the repair but did not connect the 2 large wires and it started smoking and I changed them back to the regular black box and it is still smoking... I may be needing a new alternator now either way BUT want to make sure if they still attach or NOT and what to do with them..you have the 2 middle wires with the square tabs taped but not the other 2 with the big wires

Old 04-27-2023, 01:58 AM
Richierich59
Default Pcm/ecu

Originally Posted by vollickvineyards
Having troubles with the download,keeps wanting to download over again when I try to open it.

Suggestions????
Hey just a heads up,I got 3 of them and if you need one I'll do you one for 1/3 of the price. Just thought I'd let you know just in case

Old 05-27-2023, 11:00 PM
KWPatty

Found this thread via internet search.
What happens with the two exposed wires in the pic?
Are they still used?

Last edited by KWPatty; 05-28-2023 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY/ External voltage regulator conversion