1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1986 Dodge W150 4wd Will not engage in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 PM
BillEwing4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Dodge W150 4wd Will not engage in reverse

Hi all, first time post. Appreciate all the help and opinions I can get.

I have a 1986 Dodge W150 with 4wd that I use strictly for plowing out my driveway in Michigan for the winters. I bought it last year and after a couple plows it would not engage in reverse (obviously necessary for plowing). I have changed the fluid, put on a gasket, and put on a filter too (it did not have one b4?) The trans. pan did not have any pieces of metal or anything and the truck drove fine in drive, so I think the tranny is ok, but I have heard the "reverse bands" could need to be tightened?

Is this even a possible solution, or is the tranny shot?

Any ideas, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a kickdown (front) band and a low/reverse (rear) band. They should both be adjusted if you are having any problems. If the reverse band is not holding in reverse you should be having problems with low also. You might also check the shift linkage adjustment. Anything beyond these two things are probably beyond your ability unless you are a tranny mechanic.

The missing filter is not good. Gunk up in the pump, valve body, and servos will cause all kinds of serious problems.

Last edited by SEAL; 11-17-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 1986 Dodge W150 4wd Will not engage in reverse