1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New member-mom trying to help son

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Sunshine730
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member-mom trying to help son

I am new to this forum, looking to help my son...he found a great deal on a 1987 Dodge d150, low miles, paid 800 for it, runs great. Last year he wrecked it, fixed it, but does not seem quite right, will search through forums to see what I can find, he loves this truck and hopes it is not a lost cause.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I'm going to send your post to the 1st Gen Ram section. Just let the members know on what answer you are looking for.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, you mean it hangs outside of gas stations, and talks about superbowl XL? In what regards is it not quite right?

Old 12-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Sunshine730

LOL, no it doesn't hang out at gas stations....I was just figuring it best to search the forums, rather than ask a question that may have already been asked....biggest concern right now is that it may have not been fixed right after it was wrecked. Someone has suggested to him that the drive shaft may have been pushed back, and how he may have to put in a slightly shorter drive shaft...so that has got his knickers in a knot...also a few electrical problems, but that I can sort out for him...he is 20 and knows everything...but money is tight, and I don't want him to do anything rash until we are sure....

Old 12-16-2011, 12:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

since you already started a thread you could ask as many questions as you want and we could try and help out.

i would say if it needed a slightly shorter drive shaft then things where not fix correctly and it would probably drive funny even if you replaced the drive shaft.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:14 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1st Gens are good solid dependable trucks. They stand up to accidents as well as any but if he needs a shorter drive shaft the repair work just wasn't done properly. I would take it back to who ever fixed it and complain if they were paid. If it was a friends freebee I would at least figure out what is misaligned before I considered a new shaft.

We are talking about frame damage that has obviously not been properly repaired. The frame is the basis for control of the vehicle. I wouldn't drive it without knowing what is wrong so that I could be sure it was safe to put on the road. JMHO

Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Sunshine730

Thanks, that's just it....it doesn't drive funny...it seems fine...he does have a bit of noise in the front right wheel, pretty sure he has a bearing going bad. He says he feels that something is just not quite right.....I figure you guys know what he means...He had driven it long enough before he wrecked to know how it felt. He says it just doesn't roll like he remembers....being mom, I can only tell him that it was wrecked, it may never drive the same...and I think that the bearing may be the biggest issue in how it rolls. I am trying to figure out how to put a pic of when it was wrecked and how it looks now...he hit a pole dead center front....the engine was pushed in a bit and of course major hood and grill damage, it seems that the cross bar under the radiator took most of the damage.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Sunshine730

@ SEAL....I understand what you are saying...in my opinion, that truck and the way it was made saved his life...had he been in a newer truck or car, I don't think he'd be here...

Old 12-16-2011, 12:30 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am surprised that the alignment shop didn't pick this up and tell you what is wrong.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless it hasn't been to an alignment shop. I know some people who do their own alignments on 2nd gens, and they would probably be brave enough to try it after a wreck. You may as well kill two birds with one stone, and put the new bearing in. Its a quick and easy job, unless the retaining pin is all boogered up. Are there any specific vibrations or anything going on, or certain driving situations that it feels worse?