1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headers for 1988 d100 w 318

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Jarhead89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers for 1988 d100 w 318

Hey. I was wondering what headers anyone put in there d100 with a 318.. I want long tube but I heard of clearance problems.. Im thinking of getting short tubes just to avoid this problem but still.. thanks.. I tryed researching the sit but im on a cell phone and its hard to navigate.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you should avoid headman headers. they all have thinner flanges and seem to always start leaking. i think you may get lucky with your truck being a 88. i think 88 was the first year for the compact starter which may be the clearance problem most run into. i would say if you are going to do it right go with long tubes. the short tube ones will be restricted by the by the stock y-pipe. i started customizing a y-pipe that i got for practically nothing and there was only a 1" hole in the pipe where the left pipe met the right.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have these. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...30082/10002/-1

Cheap, fit fine (no clearance issues, even with huge old starter), and I like them. They sound good and enhance bottom end torque on my stock 318 with a smaller 4bbl.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 AM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jegs headers are a good choice,thicker walls and flange,Made in USA(it matters to me),at a good price.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moparborn
The Jegs headers are a good choice,thicker walls and flange,Made in USA(it matters to me),at a good price.
It matters to me too!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 AM
sls001
Captain

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
you should avoid headman headers. they all have thinner flanges and seem to always start leaking. i think you may get lucky with your truck being a 88. i think 88 was the first year for the compact starter which may be the clearance problem most run into. i would say if you are going to do it right go with long tubes. the short tube ones will be restricted by the by the stock y-pipe. i started customizing a y-pipe that i got for practically nothing and there was only a 1" hole in the pipe where the left pipe met the right.

This is simply not true in all cases. Do a simple search on Summit and check the flange thickness of the available headers.

Each company has a cheap header (thin flanges and tubing) and a high quality header (thick flanges and tubing).

The Headman headers will fit on Dodge trucks\RC's better than most of the other header brands without fitment issues.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't really speak to fitment for sure but a simple search at Summit tells me that to get a flange thickness over their economy 1/4" flange headers the cost for Headmans is almost double. As I always say, If you have the money anything is possible.

If I am missing something please advise me, as I am always willing to learn.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sls001
This is simply not true in all cases. Do a simple search on Summit and check the flange thickness of the available headers.

Each company has a cheap header (thin flanges and tubing) and a high quality header (thick flanges and tubing).

The Headman headers will fit on Dodge trucks\RC's better than most of the other header brands without fitment issues.
they may fit good but they will be the first to start leaking. i have compared flange thickness on all the headers that should bolt onto our engines and headman headers have the thinnest flanges at 1/4". everyone else seems to use 5/16" flanges.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:09 PM
sls001
Captain

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
they may fit good but they will be the first to start leaking. i have compared flange thickness on all the headers that should bolt onto our engines and headman headers have the thinnest flanges at 1/4". everyone else seems to use 5/16" flanges.
Having installed probably 250 - 300 sets of headers in the shop I work in the Headman headers give us the least amount of trouble. We will sell a couple different brands and have folks bring in the cars\trucks etc to have us install their "cheaper" headers.

For the Headman's we have never had to have a head\flange surface resurfaced due to it being warped or poorly machined out of the box as we see with most other brands and on the dodges we never have to "modify" anything to get them installed.

I can also say that we only install headers with dead-soft aluminum gaskets and the stage 8 header fasteners to cut down the chance of any leaks but the Summit brand, cheap Hookers, etc still seem to leak more so than Headman's or TTI's.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly which Headman headers (part numbers) do you use in the shop?

Quick Reply: Headers for 1988 d100 w 318