1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1991 Speedometer Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:18 PM
steiner83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer not working need help

hi was wondering if anyone could help my speedometer and odometer stop working I did the obvious and changed the vss that didn't work then I took off my grr and put the vss direct to see if my grr was bad but that didn't work wiring looks good what else could be the problem

Old 12-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Dad's 1990 Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My speedometer worked but my odometer/trip meter did not. I purchased the two plastic gears internal to the dash cluster and used this video on youtube (
) to guide me in the repair. I only had to replace the smaller gear which was not all that hard. Take your time though. I've included a pic of the small gears I got off of eBay. I only had to replace the small one, (old gear missing teeth in pic). Quarter is included for scale.

Small gear attaches to the other side of the larger one. If it is bad you loose odometer/trip meter but not speedometer.

Quick Reply: 1991 Speedometer Doesn't Work