1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

upgrade 318 or get a 360

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Comrade General
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wontacceptthis
It sounds like its designed for vehicles that were previously carbureted.
My truck has fuel injection though. What are the pros and cons to going to a carburetor?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

pros:
no obd1 computer
con:
the initial cost of installation can be a bit expensive

i would say if the fuel injection system is working good you should leave it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
pros:
no obd1 computer
con:
the initial cost of installation can be a bit expensive

i would say if the fuel injection system is working good you should leave it.
No problems.

So I found this site
http://accurateengines.com/remanufac...ge/360-engine/

Lists a rebuilt 360 at about 1600 dollars. Is that something I should look into or does something not sound right?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

that is about normal price for a rebuilt engine.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Comrade General
Captain

that is about normal price for a rebuilt engine.

Ok now I can afford that. But of course then there is labor and anything else that needs to be bought to make it all compatible.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

ya. that is what always makes things expensive. most shops charge anywhere between $50-$100 per hour plus you never know what problems you will run into.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Comrade General
Captain

ya. that is what always makes things expensive. most shops charge anywhere between $50-$100 per hour plus you never know what problems you will run into.

yeah, as much as I like the 1st gen particularly mine, it would be so much easier just to have something new and not have to worry about spending hundreds or dollars on it in repairs or deciding what to do with it or checking the oil every other time you drive it, but it feels good when you get compliments on it and after you work on it yourself you just feel good.

If it comes to needing a new engine or to be rebuilt, Ill speak with the shop about pricing, swaps etc. And if it sounds good Ill go with the 360.

Going to gears, been looked at a couple videos and instructions and didnt seem to hard to do. Do you know much about changing the ring and pinion gears? Any advice of the brand or kind aswell. I saw a couple brands that said they were quiter than some and some that were louder

Old 04-06-2012, 06:49 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't know what you are doing changing differential gears can become quite expensive when they eat themselves.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:51 AM
sls001
Captain

A couple questions on your changing gears...

First off what are you planning on doing with this truck? Daily driver, off-road toy only, etc.

What size tires do you plan on running?
What gear ratio are you looking to go to?
Do you plan on putting any sort of locker or limited slip in it as well?

changing gears is not hard but it is time consuming to do, a number of special tools are required, and it must be done correctly.

You will need: Dial Indicator with magnetic base, pinion\yoke holding tool, 1/2 torque wrench (250ft\lbs), an inch pound dial type (rotational torque) torque wrench, a pinion depth setting tool specific to your differentials. This is in addition to your regular hand tools and you will need a hydraulic press to press the bearings on and off.

I ask about your plans for the vehicle and tire size you plan on running since the differentials in your W-150 are the D44 front and 9.25 rear and are very light duty and do not hold up well with big tires (over 33's) and hard off-roading. So depending on your plans for the vehicle you might consider finding a pair of D60's to swap in.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Comrade General
Captain

Originally Posted by sls001
A couple questions on your changing gears...

First off what are you planning on doing with this truck? Daily driver, off-road toy only, etc.

What size tires do you plan on running?
What gear ratio are you looking to go to?
Do you plan on putting any sort of locker or limited slip in it as well?

changing gears is not hard but it is time consuming to do, a number of special tools are required, and it must be done correctly.

You will need: Dial Indicator with magnetic base, pinion\yoke holding tool, 1/2 torque wrench (250ft\lbs), an inch pound dial type (rotational torque) torque wrench, a pinion depth setting tool specific to your differentials. This is in addition to your regular hand tools and you will need a hydraulic press to press the bearings on and off.

I ask about your plans for the vehicle and tire size you plan on running since the differentials in your W-150 are the D44 front and 9.25 rear and are very light duty and do not hold up well with big tires (over 33's) and hard off-roading. So depending on your plans for the vehicle you might consider finding a pair of D60's to swap in.
I think Ill stick with letting a shop do it then.

Thats some good info^^ thanks sls. but I currently have 35'' and looking into 4.56 gears. Also no plans for lockers, I was under the impression this truck had limited slip in the rear but I do not know.

And it will be my daily driver but I do want it capable of doing some off-roading and I do go offroad some. Nothing too serious though.

Quick Reply: upgrade 318 or get a 360