1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burning Oil Like Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Cameron1997
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright update after tear down the plenum was blown out all the way around. I've decided that while its all torn apart i'm going to do the head gaskets and valve seals too. Would i be safe using the same cylinder head bolts or are they stretch bolts?

Old 06-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Birge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum

I'm also using a bit more oil than I would like, how did come to the conclusion about the plenum. I have read this thread, I will be looking in the places you did. It doesn't look like its too difficult to do is it? Basically pull the instake, correct? Do you have to check and see if the intake itself is warped?

Birge

Old 06-23-2012, 10:16 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

it is pretty much just as easy as pulling the intake. the intake does not warp. there is 2 theories why the plenum gasket blows. 1 is that the bolt used to hold the pan on are a bit too long and can't properly be torqued and 2 is that the steal plenum pan and aluminum intake heat up at different speeds which can cause stress on the gaskets and allow them to blow.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Birge
Rookie

crazzywolfie, that why the guy on ebay sells the aluminum plate huh? This would make the surfaces out of the same material. I wondered about the intake and warping. I may do this soon. Are there signs of the engine running poorly, I have heard that folks hear the engine ping, I have not heard that, I would think there would be vacumn related problems going on.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Cameron1997
Rookie
Originally Posted by Birge
I'm also using a bit more oil than I would like, how did come to the conclusion about the plenum. I have read this thread, I will be looking in the places you did. It doesn't look like its too difficult to do is it? Basically pull the instake, correct? Do you have to check and see if the intake itself is warped?

Birge
The reason i decided to pull the intake manifold to check the plenum pan is when i checked inside the throttle body i didn't see any oil but the butterfly valve had a nice coating on the inside and some on the air filter cover too so i wasnt 100% positive it was the problem. Overall difficulty is not too bad im about 4.5 hours into it including tear down and cleaning the intake manifold. I thought even if it isnt the plenum gasket it would be preventive maintenance. If you do decide to replace yours oreilly's has a intake manifold gasket set that comes with everything you need to replace the plenum gasket for $50.99. And i would strongly recommend getting the aluminum plenum pan that crazzywolfie provided a link to, i bought myself one because i only feel like replacing the plenum gasket once. The reason i say that is the previous has already replaced the plenum gasket the way i found that out is non oem rtv on the intake manifold gasket.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Cameron1997
Rookie

I too did not have the engine ping or lack of power as some claimed.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Birge
Rookie

ok , thanks for the info Cameron I appreciate it, Let me know if your oil sage doe in fact disppear, I will order the plenum plate next week.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 PM
tsingerjr
Amateur

I'm having an oil burninig issue as well. Im going through about 1 quart every hundred miles. its going into my exhaust and burning up. I'm having a compression test done on Saturday. I opened the butterfly valves and didnt really see any oil in the manifold either. Do you think its that or maybe valves?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

what year is your truck. if it is 91 or older it will not have a plenum gasket.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 PM
tsingerjr
Amateur

1998 ram 1500

Quick Reply: Burning Oil Like Crazy