1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1991 Dodge Pickup 5.9L, Hall Effect Ignition - No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 AM
rh1474
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Dodge Pickup 5.9L, Hall Effect Ignition - No Spark

Hi,

My son-in-law has a 1991 Dodge 5.9L with Hall Effect Ignition and it has no spark. We have check the ASD and Fuel pump relays and have reviwed the trouble shooting proceduces in the Hayes manual. Coil has been tested etc.. We can not find the electical connection between the Dark Blue w Black tracer lead of the ASD relay and the Dark Green w Black tracer of the + terminal on the ignition coil. Is there a spice some where? Per the electical diagiam there appaears to be an electrical connection between several Dark Green W Black leads and the Dark Blue w Black tracer lead. We have open the entire harness from the ASD relay to the passenger side and did not find a splice.

Thanks In Advance for Your Assistance??

Old 06-29-2012, 11:58 PM
rh1474

Hi Guys,

Finally figure out that the Hayes manual wrongly stated that the color of the lead coming out of the ASR relay was marked wrong on the wiring diagram. The lead was mark as a Dark bule with a Black tracer -- it should have been marked as Dark Green with a Black tracer. After further trouble analysis we determined that the Hall Effect module in the distributer was defective.

Thanks Again !!!

rh1474

Old 06-30-2012, 01:09 AM
wags70ss

I dont know if they are the same, but I have a '93 with the 5.9 gas engine & it wont start for me either. There is no spark at the coil & I have read it could be anything from the crank sensor to the ecm. Is there a sticky on this issue as it seems to happen to a lot of trucks?

Quick Reply: 1991 Dodge Pickup 5.9L, Hall Effect Ignition - No Spark