1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'85 Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 PM
dodgegirl12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.... I tried the experiment with the spray bottle and gas. Still does the same thing. What would I be looking for electronically? Something else I should maybe add... the same day that it stopped working the fuel gauge no longer moves when I turn the key to turn the truck on. I was told it was just a coincidence that it did that the same day that it stopped running..... but I thought I'd go ahead and add that bit of info on here. Thanks for all your help! Now....ideas?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the only thing your engine running and the gas gauge have in common is the ground connection. i think you need to be inspecting all the ground connections and clean any connection that has corrosion. also did any other gauges stop working?

Old 08-09-2012, 01:05 PM
dodgegirl12

That's the only one that stopped working. I will check all the connections!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 PM
dodgegirl12

Ok.... update: I decided to randomly pour some baking soda water on the battery connections and what do you know...... it started! The gauge lit up bright and the engine started right up. Bad news..... it ran for about 8 minutes idling and then it died. A friend said that one of the wires running to the battery needs to be replaced. Which one should I be looking for?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

which one looks the worst? i think you might want to try taking the negative cable completely off. clean all the connections as good as you can with sand paper or something similar and then re-assemble. the negative wire that connect to the block like to rust and cause a bad connection.

Quick Reply: '85 Cranks but won't start