1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

904 Tranny Problems! Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Houston281
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 904 Tranny Problems! Help

I've got a major issue with my tranny. I just had it rebuilt. Its in a 1984 Dodge d150 attached to a SB 318. We filled it up the other day with about 9quarts. Keep in mind It was bone dry with nothing in the tranny or converter. We attempted to drive it and the tranny wouldn't shift. We added a couple more quarts so its at about 12 now. The truck shifted perfect but was still sluggish and felt like it had no pick up. I noticed something leaking when we pulled into the driveway and the fluid was pouring from the bell housing with a solid stream. I think we might have overfilled it by a quart or to and blew the main seal. Is this common for an overfill? And how many quarts does an 84'- Tourqeflite 904 tranny with and without converter hold?

Old 08-11-2012, 01:27 AM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the big question is, "How were you checking the fluid level".

Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Houston281

I bought a flex dipstick from summitracing for a 904 it didn't register anything with 9 quarts so we added a few more. Loan behold that was a few more to many.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Birge
Rookie

You proabably have to check that with the engine running and in neutral unless the valve body was updated, I coud be wrong. But also is it possible you didn't get the dipstick tube mounted right, and the dpstick would not stick down far enough into the pan? Its bad to overfill these.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds like you need to get yourself a stock dipstick and tube. also since it is a brand new rebuild transmission i would recommend not starting it park. the pump does not pump fluid in park. best thing to do is start it in neutral until everything has had a chance to break in and even then i would still recommend starting it in neutral to extend the life of the transmission. now my Haynes manual says when filling a new or rebuilt transmission from dry it require 8 quarts so i would say you really overfilled it and is getting out where ever it can. i think you might have to drain the trans and refill it but since you overfilled it i think you will only need 4 quarts. also don't forget to start and run it in neutral.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Houston281

yeah we took the transmission back out and changed the pump seal. We also replaced the pan gasket cause there was a leak from there prior. When we took the pan out we looked at the dip stick and its 1.25'' to high so thats why we weren't registering. Just got it back in the truck taking a 5min break and we're going to try this again! Wish me luck haha..

Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Houston281

Got it shifting beautifuly with no leaks about 5quarts without converter. Converter was already full from previous screw up. Thanks guys!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:57 PM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Dipsticks!!!

Quick Reply: 904 Tranny Problems! Help