1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

92 Ram Running Very Rich

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012 | 08:15 PM
Birge
|
Rookie
Default 92 Ram Running Very Rich

ok 1992 Doge Ram W150 with 318 MFI. I just did the plenum, just repalced the cat. I had some problems, did have a pinched wire I fixed that part. I have the 180 degree thermostat. I replaced both coolant sensors on the fornt, tonight I ohmed out the drivers side switch that feeds the computer, resistance wise it seemed ok, voltage wise it seemed low, 2.768 volts.

Trouble is its running very rich I am not driving it as I don;t want to destroy the new cat. I have gone over everything again and I am not seeing much. Also its not throwing any codes. I would think either coolant sensor or O2 sensor. I would figure on the O2 sensor it would give a code to say its not working. But no dice. Any suggestions? I also searched the second gen forumn since this is the magnum motor. I found some info but not a great deal.

thanks
Birge

Old 09-11-2012 | 08:25 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

when was the last time the o2 sensor replaced. if your plenum was leaking then the o2 sensor could be bad. i don't think the computer would complain unless it was operating outside of it's normal voltages. i also read that these engines like ntk o2 sensors. rock auto have them fairly cheap

Old 09-12-2012 | 09:35 AM
Birge
|
Rookie
Default ok on the O2

Not sure when the o2 sensor may have been replaced last, I know I have read about the NTK or Denso 02 sensors. I guess before the plenum i didn't think it could be too bad. So I guess thats next. I was leaning that way but really looking for something more substantial that told me it was not working like a check engine light, or code. As Usual thanks for the Reply Wolfie

Birge

Old 09-12-2012 | 09:33 PM
Birge
|
Rookie

Also CW did you get the ford 19# injectors I saw a post in 2nd gen

Old 09-12-2012 | 09:47 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

no. i have been thinking about it but not done anything with it yet. i got too many projects on the go. i still have not even replace to o2 sensor on mine. it is sitting in my parts box.

Old 09-17-2012 | 09:09 AM
Birge
|
Rookie

well , new 02 sensor and its running better, still not quite right. I read a post a bout cleaning the IAC and went to do that and found my IAC frozen, it would not budge I installed a new one, it now idles. I also ordered some ford 19# injectors EV1 off ebay to try. When I did the plenum I didn't do much to the old injectors. I still have a somewhat of a rough idle. Injectors are next. Will advise.

Old 09-18-2012 | 06:51 PM
bigreddodge1

i am having a similair issue with my 92 ram.it has a iac code, i replaced it but was told if there are any other codes it wont reset itself.

Old 09-18-2012 | 06:58 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

well usually before you replace the IAC motor you are suppose to disconnect the battery so the computer can reset and relearn after new parts are installed and so that you do not fry anything.

Old 09-20-2012 | 10:14 PM
difinka2@gmail.com
Default Have you ever heard of...

Have you ever heard of a condition called a lean miss? I'm not certain if I can describe it but my ex has his bachelors in Auto Tech through ASE program, one or the other, that was so long ago, we weren't even married at that point so I use to listen to what he had to say!
Anyhow, this is a condition in which the vehicle is running so lean that the computer attempts to compensate for the condition by mixing air to fuel ratios higher and therefore a lot of techs miss that one but the reason my ex remembered that issue is because it was a very obscure problem!
The reason I quote my ex. is because I only heard about it and experienced it myself!
Good Luck,

Old 09-26-2012 | 10:00 PM
Birge
|
Rookie

Well my condition appears to have been solved with replacing the egr valve. It took breaking down and dropping it at the shop for a few days. It was not throwing codes and I had replaced the egr on my own early this summer. Anyway just FYI

Thanks

Quick Reply: 92 Ram Running Very Rich