1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

instrument cluster lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:02 PM
v4Moto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster lights

Cant seem to get these to work. I pulled the cluster and replaced all the bulbs, most but not all were blown and the fuse is still good. This didnt get me anywhere so I swapped out the light switch, same result. I was thinking of swappping the cluster in case the pcb is bad but not sure how to detach the gearshift cable from the steering column lever (its an auto). Can anyone advise?
If there is somewhere else I should be looking would welcome a nudge in that direction also.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you tried turning the headlight switch ***. it controls how bright the lights are but if turned all the way one way it turns the lights off.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 PM
v4Moto

Yes CW I did try that, I noticed while I had the 2 switches that the metal strip does not go all the way to the end so you loose continuity at the end. Neither switch seems to have made a difference, still no lights. the warning lights work but they on a different fuse and that might be where the problem lies. When I turn the light switch on I do not see any voltage at the back of the number 14 fuse (instrument illumination) on either pin. TBH I'm crap at electrics which is why i thought to swap the cluster in the hope that the pcb might be faulty.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

so do all exterior lights come on? could also check fuse number 4. it feed power to the switch.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:35 PM
v4Moto

I will check fuse 4 as I have had to change that before now, when I last checked the ext lights were all working but I'll check that again in the morning and thanks, I hadnt realised that #4 fed power but that does make sense. Will update again in the morning, too dark now.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:02 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

fuse 4 feeds power to the headlight switch and from the headlight switch power flows to fuse 14 and the instrument cluster lights.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:53 PM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by v4Moto
...not sure how to detach the gearshift cable from the steering column lever (its an auto). Can anyone advise?
v4Moto,

If you still have this problem, for my '82, I disconnect the PRND21 actuator cable from the steering column. Look for a short cable running from your instrument panel to your PRND21 indicator and unhook it from the steering column. I believe you have to put the shifter into the "1" position. You might have to bend the little hook just a little to get it to properly hook back on. Remember the slot it comes out of.

I thought my panel lights did not work either and realized I just cannot see them unless it is very dark. They seemed very dim even with new bulbs. I did replace the blue cellophane for the high beam indicator by taping a piece of clear blue plastic over the slot.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 PM
v4Moto

"not so" crazywolf thanks again for your help. I have it all back together again and everything seems to work. In fact i have a couple of extra lamps on now as the message centre was not plugged in and that has the Brake and anti lock lights on (Ill check that separately) and the 4wheel drive lamp now works but is on all the time (Ill also check that when I get the time). Neither was plugged in and I think I know why now but I'm just glad i have lights on the dash so i can drive at night.

Thanks again

Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

so was it a bad fuse or are they just dim? if they are just dim you could possibly upgrade them to inverted led lights. i run led's in both my trucks and they work good.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:58 PM
v4Moto

A combination of the 2, the bulbs were old and some were dimmer than they should be and #4 fuse was blown. All the bulbs are new now, I changed them all and its bright enough for me, mind you, I had no lights before.
I have the advantage of extra illumination from the 4x4 lamp and the brake/abs warning. Guess somethings is up with the abs side so will check the site for some clues there, in the meantime I am basking in the glow of my dash for the first time. Cheers

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: instrument cluster lights