1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brush guard's or bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brush guard's or bumpers

Alright we had a little freezing rain here today and a four wheel drive chevy came pretty darn close to sliding his passenger door right into my front bumper, I was stopped waiting to turn, with cars behind me and him blocking the whole road ahead as he slid towards me

So I'm thinkin maybe it's time for a little more protection up front. The 83 gmc I used to have had a brush guard that basically covered up the whole grill would one of them from a chevy/gm fit on a dodge? Do any of you have brush guards on your trucks? if so any pics/ info on where ya got em would be good. I'd kinda prefer something that protected the radiator and not just a little bar like they put on newer trucks.

Last resort, or maybe only choice, I suppose I could borrow a decent welder and make something up but I have no idea what size of metal/s would be best for it any advice is appreciated thanks!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend 3/16" or 1/4" plate if you decide to fabricate. I used 1/4" stainless when I built my front bumper with a winch installed in it. No one even began to think about pulling out in front of that massive bumper. I had to go back to a standard bumper when I bought my snow plow.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:26 AM
ghonhee
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few people who sell ready-made bumpers for the 1st generation dodge trucks. They are all very expensive.

Buckstop
Trailready

I am about to fabricate front and rear bumpers for my truck this November. I feel that fabricating is the only route that doesn't involve spending a lot of money... but is also very dependent on your access to tools and equipment as well as your ability to use them. Like anything else If you take your time and plan out your cuts/design, it shouldn't be too bad.

I would recommend using 1/4" steel plate for the mounting brackets and plate, then using 3/16" plate for everything else. I also really like the weld through clevis shackle mounts for the front bumper.

Check out this link for some ideas: http://ramchargercentral.com/fabrica...grille-guards/

Last edited by ghonhee; 11-01-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about modifying the brackets on another bumper? If ford frames are the same width in the rear, maybe they are even the same in the frame too, and you'd only have to drill new holes.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always vote full 1/4" plate bumper. Here's a pic of my old power wagon. That bumper is now on my '95 ram, coated with rustoleum aerosol bed liner.

Quick Reply: Brush guard's or bumpers