1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lost Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM
grimm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Gauges?

So first a disclaimer, this is on my '88 Ramcharger so yes this is in the wrong section, but I decided to post here because whenever I post in the RC section they dont show up, this section seems to be more active, and the information is the same between the two anyways. :P

So here's the scoop. I lost my water temp,fuel level, and oil press gauges, plus the message center today. Speedo (mechanically driven) and ampmeter still work. I had to drop my fuel tank yesterday and when I put it back up this morning I made sure I hooked everything back up, and I checked while I refilled it and the gauge was still working. Later on I pulled the dash to swap LED bulbs in the gauge panel,but before I got that far I turned the lights on,put my high beams and hazards on so I could take a before pic with it all lit up. In the pic all the gauges are working. When I had the hazards on though my stereo would go off and on with them, and when I tried the signals theyd flash once then quit. That was with the key on and engine off. Then I tried a bulb in the 4wd indicator to see if it worked. With key on/engine off and in 4wd, it didnt light up, so I started it and it lit, then wouldnt shut off when I the stopped the engine (in 2wd) so I pulled the bulb and when I did one of the tangs got stuck in the socket. It was after this that I noticed the gauges werent working and they didnt come back on the way home. Im kinda at a loss for what I did to cause this. :/ Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

does your gauges have a voltage regulator on the back. i think in 88 it still should have but can't be 100% sure could just need a nudge to get a better connection.

if you have questions about the ramcharger it is probably best just to post them here. there is not really that much difference and i don't check the ram charger section much if at all. really almost need to make a post over there directing them over here.

the voltage regulator on the back of the gauge would look like this.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM
tooltime
Veteran

I have a 88 d100 and the oil and temp gauge goes to the 1st line. Could the voltage reg be the problem? The other gauges work fine

Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the voltage regulator effect oil/temp and gas gauge so if 1 works the others should.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:46 AM
grimm
Professional

Ok, ill have to check that out right away. Do they tend to burn out or just get loose sometimes? Also could that affect the message center at all?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

there connections is not that great. you don't hear about them burning out too often. shouldn't effect the message center. now if you do need to replace the voltage regulator do not buy a new one. you can build one for a fractions of the cost.
http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical2.html

Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 PM
grimm
Professional

Sometimes we over look the obvious things in life. The fuse popped, it must have went when I pulled the bulb and it got caught. Anyways I have my gauges back now, but the LEDs didnt work out. When the gauges didnt work the gauge panel w/LEDs were nice and bright, except one gauge bulb wasnt on and none of the red lights (seat belts/gate open/etc.) came on. Signals and hi beam worked. After I replaced the fuse the gauge panel plus the left signal would stay on constantly, even with the key out. When I turned the signals on they would work but were super slow. So I pulled them out and used the old bulbs and everythings fine now. Why? lol Are the LEDs not compatable or something maybe? I was also having problems with them in my '85 pickup but the gauge panel isnt in atm.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

which led's did you use? did you check your front left turn signal to see if it is out? a dead light bulb will cause things to flash slow and dash turn signal light to stay on. i have converted all the dash lights in my 81 and 93 to led and have had no problems what so ever.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=grimm;2973152]Sometimes we over look the obvious things in life. The fuse popped, it must have went when I pulled the bulb and it got caught. Anyways I have my gauges back now, but the LEDs didnt work out. When the gauges didnt work the gauge panel w/LEDs were nice and bright, except one gauge bulb wasnt on and none of the red lights (seat belts/gate open/etc.) came on. Signals and hi beam worked. After I replaced the fuse the gauge panel plus the left signal would stay on constantly, even with the key out. When I turned the signals on they would work but were super slow. So I pulled them out and used the old bulbs and everythings fine now. Why? lol Are the LEDs not compatable or something maybe? I was also having problems with them in my '85 pickup but the gauge panel isnt in atm.[/QUOTE

Using a heavy duty flasher (one for 18 wheelers) will take of the flasher problem I believe.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Sniper X
Captain

LEDs can be a pain. The reason is they draw less current and need less voltage to run than an incandescent lamp. USUALLY what this does is makes the LED light very bright for a second and go out if it isn't a 12v LED, and if it is a 12v LED, depending on whether the dash indicator lamps for the turn signals are in serries with the actual turn signals can either make them flash slow or very fast.

When ever swapping in LEDs for any incan lamps I would ask the seller or manufacturer if they are a straight swap. MOST aren't. You sometimes need either a different flasher, or a different LED or to tie in a resistor with each LED so the voltage drop is close to its normal operating voltage but that is a hassle.

The neat thing about getting them right is the brightness and colour. I like them and am going to get the right ones for my W150 since my stock dash lights are so dim on the brightest setting. I am also going with red/ orange since it is less eye fatigue at night, and looks cool like my stock BMW dash lights.

Quick Reply: Lost Gauges?