1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Donor Truck????

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM
MNfarmboy
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Donor Truck????

I am looking to do an auto to manual swap on my truck and I am planning to use a NV3500. Over the last few months only two have come up on craigslist, one was a 2wd and the other was ridiculously overpriced. A couple days ago a new one poped up that looks like it might be a winner. This is the link to the page. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...596432425.html I was wondering if any of you out there would mind telling me what you think of it. is it worth it? It is a little more than i want to pay, but right now it is my only option. Another question regarding the truck, if I were to buy it and take the parts i need, what could i realistically get reselling it. If I were to sell it, it would definitly help with the $$$ part of the swap. My final question is that I was wondering if they make NV3500 swap kits, Im almost a 100% sure they dont, but it is always worth asking. Any imput is welcomed.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i don't think they would make a swap kit. if you have a 318 i am pretty sure the stuff should just bolt on except for the hydraulic clutch parts.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:26 PM
MNfarmboy
Professional

Ok, What do you think a resale value would be of a complete truck excluding transmission

Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

maybe $500. could maybe get about $1000+ if you part it out.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 PM
MNfarmboy
Professional

So if I sold it for $500, got it for $1500, put $200-$500 in for extra parts, that means i could do this for $1200 to $1500. I think that just might work, hopefully ill get to go look at it this week. Thanks wolfie

Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

did you ever think about swapping the fuel injected 318 magnum with it? might be worth the time and effort. according to wikipedia you would gain 50hp 35 ft lbs torque

Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 AM
MNfarmboy
Professional

I thought about it, but i didnt realize that the performance difference was that much. Is it electronic fuel injection and what steps must be taken to adapt the truck to fi?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Im not totally sure what vehicle this is going into, but I assume its a first gen, since that it is where you posted, and I assume its a 4x4, since you didnt want the 2wd trans you found. Also assuming you have a small block V8, as most did... That being assumed:
It is basically a direct swap. You will need to poke a hole in your firewall behind the clutch pedal (which you will have to find/fab if you dont already have one) to mount your clutch master cylinder. I had to make a custom adjustable clutch rod to make my pedal the correct height. The clutch slave mounts to the trans as if it were factory. It already has the provision, and nothing needs altered. Your flywheel from the donor will need resurfaced and you will need a new clutch kit, obviously.
You may need to modify your trans crossmember. I didnt have to change much, but I went from a 4 speed to a 5 speed, not an auto.
You may need to modify driveshaft lengths, although I'm sure someone that has done it will chime in.
The block to bellhousing bolt pattern is the same on LA style engines and Magnums, so you dont need to mod anything there.
Long story short... No. I dont think there is a "kit" to swap it, but the swap is not that difficult and it is very rewarding. You will be glad you did it.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Jump into my "1st Gen EFI in a 2nd Gen" thread, I have running in the 2nd gen section.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
MNfarmboy
Professional

Everything you assumed is correct, good job on that, probably should have specified that info. The info was very helpful so thank you for that, i will follow your thread. Another question is, do you guys out there think it is worth it to swap in the magnum motor, if it is worth it now would be the time to do it. I am getting excited for this, so hopefully it won't be too hard and it all goes in smoothly

Quick Reply: Donor Truck????